Play: The Band Back Together

This evening, I was off with TAC to see The Band Back Together, a play with music, at the Arcola. Headed off in decent time - and oy! were the buses packed. The #149, I was lucky to squeeze on at all - spent several stops standing near the driver because there was nowhere else, as he sped past group after group of passengers, whom we just didn't have room for. I finally did manage a seat, at least. Beside a bell that didn't work - but there was always someone else to ring for the bus to stop, anyway.

I planned to eat at Nando's, as always around here, and arrived just around 6, as planned. Got a table down the back, ordered on my phone - happily, they always have good WiFi at this branch - and waited. I was a little worried after 10 minutes had passed - the show was early, starting at 7, and was a few minutes' walk away. And then the wine and food arrived in quick succession. And ooh, they hadn't even burned the garlic bread, as other branches so often do! I'm telling you, this is one of the best branches..

I made it to the theatre with about five minutes to spare - as soon as I told her whom I'd booked my ticket with, she knew my name; either I was the only one to book a ticket with them for tonight, or just the last to pick up the ticket! Anyway, I went straight downstairs - it's in Studio 2, in the basement:


Hmm yes, I was to wonder whether they'd play those instruments - and they can, and do! Well, at least one of them can play both the keyboard and drums - another guy brings an electric guitar with him, and the female sings, as they all can. And once they're all in the room together, they do actually make music! to the applause of the audience - although, as one guy near me remarked, they are very loud. Well yes, instruments tend to be..

The premise is that they all grew up together in Salisbury, and were in a band in school together. And now one of them has the idea of reuniting them all for a charity gig. The action takes place over three days of rehearsals - we get to see them interact as a group, and also in the initial part of each of the three scenes, a different pair get a chance to talk privately, before the third arrives. And so their story unravels for us, piece by piece..

Great idea, actually. They haven't had any contact since around the time the band broke up, when they finished school - which gives them plenty of scope to have gone off and done other things. And we do discover they're all very different, now. By 'eck though, their stories are intense.. I wonder whether the music is supposed to provide light relief. And they are actually really good musicians - although I wasn't tempted to buy any merchandise! Not that they were selling any, as far as I know - although they did all change into "The Band Back Together" t-shirts for the gig at the end.

As I say, interesting premise, although I did find the contrast between the music, and the maudlin stories of each of their private lives, jarring. But it's worth a look - runs till Saturday. Over nice and early, so I could shop afterwards. And I'm happy to say, the buses were nice and quiet on the way back.

Tomorrow, back with London Social Detours - first time in nearly six months - for a talk about The Players' Theatre. I see tickets are now gone - just as well she pre-booked! And we have a social afterwards, of course. I'll have to leave work early - I am pretty much on top of it, as long as I don't get landed with lots more, tomorrow..

Wednesday is another work social - darts this time (!) at Oche.. now, I've never thrown a dart, or even watched a darts match, in my life. So this should be interesting.. Wonder whether they'll ask us not to come in, like at the last social, because the office would be too crowded - or perhaps this isn't overly subscribed; we haven't heard anything of that nature yet.

On Thursday, The Hideout again! Now, this time they beat off some stiff competition - but the film promises to be excellent. The Substance stars Demi Moore as an ageing star who finds her roles drying up as her looks are fading. So when she comes across a miracle drug - "the substance" - on the black market, which promises to restore her to a younger, more beautiful version of herself.. she jumps at it. Of course, it doesn't work out quite as planned. Dennis Quaid plays her boss, who fires her for not being young enough for her TV fitness show. And honestly, I can't remember when I saw a new-release horror film so highly rated.. few enough of any genre are so highly rated! It apparently got a standing ovation at Cannes, perhaps for its castigation of the emphasis on beauty in the media. We're seeing it at the BFI - and after my previous experience with Black & Blue, I'm returning to The Archduke for food. First time in a couple of months. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

Next Monday, I'm at Bellringers, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) at Hampstead Theatre. Got a good seat from someone in the group who couldn't use it in the end.

On the 1st, the same group were supposed to be at Cake: The Marie Antoinette Playlist. At The Other Palace. I booked my ticket from Todaytix. Eating beforehand at the Bag o' Nails, where I'd booked before and had to cancel, when my event was cancelled. Except.. guess what happened? The show's run is finishing (very) early! Before this date.. so the event is cancelled, and I got a mail from Todaytix, with a voucher code for the amount spent, to be used for future bookings. I preferred a refund - who knows when I'd get around to using the voucher? Checking the email carefully, I saw a link to the support page to request a refund - clicked the link, went on chat, probably got a bot - but as I had all my details, the process was pretty quick, and I got my refund. Yay. Ironic that I'd only just booked it - ironic, also, that I've now booked for the Bag o' Nails exactly twice, and had to cancel both times.. gee, must be cursed!

I had some trouble finding an alternative - with nothing decent on Meetup or my cheap ticket sites for the day, I was back to Time Out! I had to scroll a long way down, though.. Giant, with John Lithgow, at the Royal Court, was sold out for the day: Shifters, at the Duke of York's Theatre, had no decent seats available for the day at a decent price (and that theatre has plenty of bad seats).. after pages and pages of scrolling through things I didn't want to do, I've finally booked for Coriolanus, starring David Oyelowo, at the National. Eating at The Archduke again.

The 2nd, I finally leave on my long-anticipated trip to Romania with the 45+ Not Grumpies! That afternoon, most of us are flying Ryanair from Stansted, to be met by an English-speaking guide and transferred to the Continental Forum Hotel, in time for an evening tour of Bucharest. (I've already downloaded the Rough Guide to Romania!) Now, just today, on the WhatsApp channel for the trip, our guide explained that we'd be going straight on the sightseeing tour when we arrived. Which rang a warning bell for me - when were we going to eat? So I confirmed with her that we'd be better off eating in Stansted - just as well I checked! Mind you, that leaves a long day to get hungry - I think I'll probably eat something on the flight.

On the 3rd, we're heading straight off by coach to Transylvania.. walking tour of Sighisoara, where Vlad the Impaler was born! Staying in the Hotel Korona that night.

On the 4th, we're off to Brasov - apparently has the narrowest street in the country. Walking tour, staying in Hotel Kolping that night.

And on the 5th, we're headed to Bran - for the famous castle - and Sinaia, for Peles Castle - before heading back to Bucharest for our flights home.

Safely back - hopefully - on the 6th, I'm with Cultureseekers for the Charlie Chaplin Guided Walk. Finishing at The Jolly Gardeners Pub.

And on the 7th, back with UITCS, who are off to Southwark Playhouse for Foreverland - more biotechnology SciFi.. possibly less spooky than The Substance! Booked, as usual, on their excellent PAYG offer, where you pay in advance for discounted tickets to five shows, no time limit..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storytelling: The Spanking Goddess

Play: Player Kings

Film: The First Omen