Film: Kinds of Kindness

The plan for today was film again! Utterly delighted that this was still showing, and I could make it - I went to see Kinds of Kindness, the latest offering from the esoteric mind of Yorgos Lanthimos, who again has reunited Emma Stone and Willem Dafoe, with Jesse Plemons and Hong Chau, in what promised to be a wonderfully odd offering. Showing in the BFI this time (twice this evening), but not selling out, so I didn't book.

I decided to go to the later showing-  it'd allow me to spend more time at work (and I had plenty to do), and I could eat beforehand. For eating, I went for The Archduke again - it's not cheap, but they have lovely wine, and London's best roast chicken, hands down. I walked from the office - it had proved a very warm day, but had cooled a little, and wasn't too warm to do that. I tell you though, by the time I rocked up there, I'd had enough of carrying that laptop bag.. and I was so jealous of all the people relaxing with a drink outside, and of all the restaurants I passed, where I could have eaten. But I do like to eat as close as possible to where I'm going! Saves rushing, at the end.

The chicken was as excellent as ever, the chips also lovely. I will never understand the appeal of eating them off a block of wood, but if that's how they want to do it.. I would have loved an ice cream sundae for dessert, but didn't really have time. There was a moment's confusion when she brought the bill for the next table, by mistake - but overall, service was excellent. By the end of the meal, a jazz singer and pianist had started up downstairs - it was very loud, and TBH, not that great, and I was glad to be leaving.

And so to the cinema - where it seems BFT1, the largest screen, is closed as part of the renovations! This was in BFT2. I bought my ticket at the desk, and as I waited for him to process it, a couple of guys came to the next window. Seems they'd just come out of a film, and one said that the other, his friend, wanted to cancel his membership. They'd enjoyed the film - but they'd had a terrible cinema experience! The only complaint I heard, as I walked away, was that people were still being let in, 40 minutes after the film started. Sure enough, I remember when they didn't let people in late - or, indeed, have food in the theatre, as I saw someone bring a bowl of something tonight.. Anyway, I'm happy to say that my audience was very well-behaved.

Dearie me, but this is a curious beast of a film. I am delighted I saw it in the BFI, because, for every single film they show here, they produce programme notes, which you can take a copy of on your way in. They include an analysis of the film by the director, as well as a critic's observations - I got there in time to read the one I picked up about this film, and I have to say, without it, I would have struggled with what I saw.

There are three separate stories, shown one after the other, all with the same actors, but playing different roles, in wildly varying plots. As one reviewer put it, a common theme isn't kindness - but unkindness. Actually, a quote from Jesse Plemons puts it very well: "The stories illuminate the constructs that we put ourselves in to make us feel safe and secure, even though it's not always true." He describes the first story as an "odd, almost father and son relationship" - this relationship is between a corporate mogul (Dafoe), and Plemons, his lackey. It's a relationship of absolute control - but when Plemons is freed from it, like a frightened teenager craving freedom but not knowing what to do with it, he comes crawling back.

"The second one is safety in marriage and in home," he continues. He plays a husband, suspicious of his wife (Emma Stone), who has returned from a situation in which she was presumed dead! Little things start to niggle him about her, until he becomes more and more controlling - to the horror of her father (Dafoe).

"The third has to do with the security that faith provides." In this last one, Dafoe is a cult leader, Plemens and Stone his faithful followers. The rules are restrictive - but, cut free from them, would they know what to do..?

It's a funny film - in a very dark way. It's certainly a memorable one. Glad I saw it, even if I don't quite know what to make of it. True for the reviewers though, the acting is top-notch.

Tomorrow, I'm back to Ireland for the weekend, and the highest rated film is something called Thelma. This is about a 93-year-old lady who's scammed, thinking she's giving money to her grandson. Ah, how many times have we come across that?! Anyway, she takes an unusual step - she makes a break for it from her care home, and seeks revenge - and to get her money back. I see Malcolm McDowell has a part - I don't recognise anyone else on the cast list. Anyway, seems like a fun revenge fantasy.. and with a mother who's a year off this lady in age, I can relate to any of the age-related stuff! Only showing in Ennis.

The next two days, back with CT for the Bitesize Festival at Riverside Studios - they have a few offerings, but on Monday, I'm going to see Dangled.

And on Tuesday, Namastae Bae - a satirical guru. After booking, I realised that London Baroque Music Lovers has an event that day - they're going to Prom 7, at the Royal Albert Hall. Durnit, forgot about that when I was booking for that day! but I was booking a lot, and it was late at night, so I was tired. Never mind, that's quite a late event anyway. Shame though, I hardly ever meet this group these days - their events aren't very frequent. Anyway, a sometime companion of mine was looking at that event, asked me about mine, and has now expressed an interest in both - I dunno, I think it'd be too much of a rush to get from one to the other..

On Wednesday, back with London Literary Walks for a walk about Newton and Legal London. We're meeting in The Devereux, but they don't do proper meals - I'm eating in The George, up the road, beforehand. At least, after last Monday, I have some idea of the complicated street mapping!

The next two days, back with Over 40 Living the Life. Next Thursday, it's Afrique en Cirque at the Queen Elizabeth Hall - always love a circus!

On the 26th, it's Slave Play - at the Noel Coward, it got a terrific review. Stars Kit Harington - who apparently gets his kit off! (pun intended). Eating in the nearby Bella Italia.

The 27th was the next date possible for my ex-coworkers' reunion, what with everybody travelling hither and yon, and suffering from jetlag.. I was thinking of going back to Brown's. But then Ivan requested the following day, because he's rehearsing that day - and the others were fine with it. But now it turns out he's needed in Scotland, where his family lives, on the 27th, so kind of has to meet us on Saturday.. and you might ask why I say it's like herding cats! So we now seem to be back to that day again.. I've booked The Albert for that day now, instead of the next.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storytelling: The Spanking Goddess

Play: Player Kings

Film: The First Omen