Summer Social Part II

These two days, two Meetup socials in a row. Last night, I headed to The Hideout's "Summer Social Part II" - in conjunction with another of their groups, which used to be called The London Movie Club, and is now known as Movie Roadhouse London. It was in the BFI Riverfront Bar - there was a little confusion as to whether it was upstairs, as usual, or downstairs.. the description said both.. but then it was confirmed to be downstairs. I decided to eat in Black & Blue beforehand. Actually would have eaten in Cote Covent Garden, but they are closed till next month..!

Stayed late at work to try and finish something - which I finally got done just now! So, given that I was in the office, I could actually have walked. But I left it too late for that. I could have taken a bus, but I left it too late for that. Handily, it's only four stops on the Tube, which is what I ended up taking. I was still a little late for my booking, but it wasn't a problem - they weren't too busy. Service, I have to say, was second to none, and I soon had my order taken. I had my usual, from the set menu - steak frites (steak medium), and an ice cream sundae. And a carafe of wine - I love that they do that here.

Yeah.. I don't know that I'll get steak frites again here. The steak was definitely undercooked, although this time I managed to finish it. Not to mention that I don't even like the Bearnaise sauce they serve with it. I think I'll try a different steak next time I'm here - or chicken.. their steak is usually excellent. Anyway, I was a little late heading over to the bar - but I do like those ice cream sundaes, so..!

As to the bar, we found out yesterday that we had been moved upstairs! Phew - much quieter. Anyway, I made my way up there, bought my usual bottle to see me through the evening without having to keep going to the bar. Had a great chat with the person at the bar about wines, until we were interrupted by thirsty souls wanting to be served! And so back to the group, and another entertaining evening chatting, and lots of film talk.. Glad to see a lot of interest in Kneecap, it is a great film and comes highly recommended by me! One guy in the group actually left early - he was heading to a showing last night, where they were making a personal appearance! Another is supposed to be going today. Hope they enjoy it as much as I did..

So, another great social. I realised, when I fell asleep the minute I got home and was awakened by my mother calling me because it was running late, that I'd better get to bed asap. So, no blog last night. Best sleep I've had all week, though!

Tonight, I'm back with the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners - first time in an age! Not a walk this time though - no, this is a pre-trip social for those who've signed up for the trip to Bucharest and Transylvania in October! Yes, I finally got around to booking it - it's at the beginning of October, I suppose to avoid the Hallowe'en crowds. The social is on the Tattershall Castle - long time since I was there. I've put in the holiday request at work, still waiting for approval - perhaps they're waiting for my probation review, which happens in the meantime..

The next two days, I've planned film, but hadn't booked - so my plans were subject to change; Blink Twice is coming out, and just rated - but not highly enough to interest me yet. Tomorrow, the plan was to go to Alien: Romulus at last - showing in my closest, the Curzon Aldgate. There are three different showings that day, so I said I'd wait and see what suited. And wouldn't you know, the rating just slipped.. so I'm going to see Blood Simple instead. The first Coen brothers film, I've never actually seen it! Stars Dan Hedaya as the owner of a seedy bar, whose wife, Frances McDormand, is having an affair with one of his employees, John Getz. So he hires M. Emmet Walsh to kill them both. Holly Hunter appears as an uncredited voice on an answering machine. Showing at The Garden Cinema - a later evening showing, so I should make this one! I see it's a "members' choice" - nice to see they get to choose films here sometimes, as well as at the Prince Charles.

On Sunday, I'm delighted to see that I finally get a chance to see Crossing! I saw the trailer for this ages ago and it looks fascinating - it was just never on at a time that suited. Well, on Sunday, it's showing at the ICA - Lordy, haven't been there in a while! Doesn't seem possible to book, there.

Monday is also film - back with The Hideout, who are off to see the extended cut of The Shining, in the BFI! Ah yes - sounds better than anything else I might have gone to that day, and anyway, it'll be lovely to be back with them again. I'll eat in Black & Blue again beforehand - don't much like the limited fare in the BFI. And as all that's happening a bit early, it's just as well it's a bank holiday!

On Tuesday, I'm off to see MJ The Musical! Well now, that should be an enjoyable nostalgia-fest.. I tell you though, I had terrible trouble with the official website! It was inconsistent in showing available seats, I tried several times to book but it didn't go through - I ended up having to pay a couple of quid more to book with TodayTix!

Then, two more Meetups in a row. On Wednesday, I'm back with London Literary Walks for a walk entitled Van Gogh, Harold Pinter, EM Forster. We're meeting in The Old Pack Horse. Now, they seem to have a Thai restaurant - but when I looked before, I couldn't see how to book! I've since managed it..

On Thursday, back with The Hideout! Goodness, they are providing lots of fun these days - they're off to the American Horror Film Festival, which turns out to be an evening of short horror films. I love short horror films! so even though, predictably, I'm not familiar with any of them - well, I just can't resist. This is in the Close-Up Cinema - pity it's so close to home for me, as I'll be in the office again that day! It's just off Brick Lane, so I've booked Cinnamon - another place I haven't been in ages! Must remember they're now BYOB.. and give a 20% discount for booking.. And then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storytelling: The Spanking Goddess

Play: Player Kings

Film: The First Omen