Talk: Art Cure - The Science of how the arts transform our health

Well.. flew back into London on Sunday night, with Aer Lingus because it was a bit cheaper than Ryanair at short notice. Which meant I came into Heathrow. The flight was delayed.. how bad, I squeezed in a couple of glasses of wine while I waited. Unfortunately, this meant we were late into Heathrow.. and my only option was bus! So, I sought out the Central Bus Station in Heathrow, first time ever.

It's findable.. and on the departures board, no fewer than five National Express departures for London Victoria were listed, all leaving at 23.59. "Wait in Lounge", it said. I did for a while - it was about 23.30 - then thought it might behove me to buy a ticket. The app wasn't working, the ticket office was closed, the first of three machines in the wall wasn't working. I finally got a ticket from the next one along. Had a peek out both exit doors, spotted coach stops out of one, went out that way. Checked with one of the workers, strolling up and down the bays, that the bus would go from here, and took a seat.

Good job I got a seat. That bus never came. In due course, I watched buses pull in, headed all over the south of England - nothing going to London. Until 00:50, when a "supplementary" service pulled in, and I took a seat near the front, phew. They are, at least, always comfortable, and I might have slept - if not for the snoring of the guy behind me, which stopped when the guy across the way turned up the volume on his phone, so we could all hear the videos he was doomscrolling through..

We were disgorged at Victoria, and I waited for a bus to Aldwych from nearby. It couldn't have been more timely - a guy with an incomprehensible accent (who, all the same, seemed to be speaking English) was asking me something. Three times, I heard it from him and still couldn't make it out - I was delighted to see my bus approach, which gave me an out. So the driver of that bus then had to do the deciphering. After a few attempts, he seemed to manage it - I think the guy was looking for a bus to some unspecified airport..

Anyway, got to Aldwych. And had a wait for the #188, which runs 24 hours and drops me very near to home. Heh. I know what it's like to wait for this bus, from here, at night.. sure enough, I was stood there for 40 minutes. Got home at 3.20am. Lord, just like the bad old days when I was back and forth like a yo-yo..

So of course, I had to be up early yesterday - and wow was I tired. Had a nap in the afternoon. Last night, I was with London Museums A-Z (LoMAZ) for a talk entitled "Art Cure: The science of how the arts transform our health" at the Royal Institution (RI). Booked to eat beforehand at Three Jolly Butchers.

Left early, got to the pub early. The guy downstairs said there'd probably be someone upstairs who could help me - there wasn't. Turned out I'd arrived just when she was in the kitchen. Well, I was just thinking of taking a table - it was quieter upstairs - when she emerged, and told me I could sit anywhere. Offered me the corner table, with, as she said, the comfy seats, if I'd wait for her to clean it - which I did. And she said she'd be over to take my order in a minute. Have to say, she was right on it - some people can deal well with busy eating areas, and happily she's one!


They had two choices for soup of the day - one was butternut squash, and I was sold. Love it! And my chicken schnitzel was absolutely gorgeous, again very succulent, with very tasty truffle-dusted fries. Wow, I was really well-fed - and yes, service was very prompt throughout. Very, very happy with this meal, and would be delighted to come here again.

With all of that, I was a teensy bit later than intended to meet the group, who messaged that they were hogging the pavement outside the RI. Which they were when I found them, and we chatted before going in. Most of us managed to sit together in one of the rows towards the rear of the theatre, which was almost full. As we chatted beforehand, someone asked me about scary things I'd seen.. and lo, when I remembered one particular play, and couldn't remember the name, it took me an age to find it - but I remembered I'd been to it with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS), and a trawl through the blog brought me to The Pitchfork Disney. Phew, that's a relief..


The speaker has an impressive list of accomplishments - I'm delighted to report that she's also an engaging speaker, with an obvious passion for the subject. Basically, she took the rather fuzzy idea that engagement with the arts provides mental benefits, and put some research and some stats behind it! Always useful to see the numbers - and wow, with my background in stats, it was so nice to hear these terms used again! It's truly decades since I heard anyone speak about cohort studies..

And the numbers speak for themselves. It really does seem that art - in its various forms - does benefit. Even where the improvements are comparable to, say, CBT - she did show graphs - you can make the case that art therapy is cheaper. And probably more fun! I was particularly taken by one graph that showed that art therapy helped with chronic pain..

Of course, I had a particular interest in the "horror" slide - what they apparently call "The Tragedy Paradox", in which unpleasant images or ideas actually benefit the person's wellbeing. She called for a show of hands - for people who hate horror films! who seemed to be in the majority. She rolled out the old theory about people using fictional horror stories to prepare themselves for similar, real-life instances. Hmm.. it's certainly the most plausible explanation, but it's in no way a complete one..


We saw many slides about the effect that exposure to the arts can have - and she did distinguish between screen entertainment and real life, between active and passive participation, and between listening to music and just having it on in the background (as I do now)..


Of course, in practical terms, it all comes down to finances - and she had those figures ready for us too. I was impressed to hear about Ireland's basic income scheme for artists - I don't keep up with news from there in general, but it seems to have been a great success, and after a trial, they've made it a permanent thing! Not to mention that Scotland is thinking of following suit:


Hell, she even made a comparison between consumption of the arts, and consumption of a healthy diet!


As I say, a fascinating talk, engagingly presented. In the Q+A afterwards, she handled the questions with aplomb - as I remarked as we discussed it before we left, she must have had lots of practice. Well, apart from the question about whether the arts would help with sex therapy.. she might have been stumped, but I'm sure we could think of something..

Of course, there's a book to go with all this, which was for sale, and being signed by the author, after the talk - one of our group had cannily already bought it online (probably cheaper), and brought it along to the talk to be signed. Doubtless it covers any details missed in the talk. We chatted in the lobby until everyone was finished with book-signing or the loo, and canvassed how many wanted to go to the pub - when we were done, six of us moseyed off in the direction of The King's Head, nearby. Where we spoke of the arts, and statistics, and horses.. and had a lovely time. Ah, I always tend to with this group..


Couldn't blog last night, it ran too late and I had to be up early. Tonight, I'm at My Name is Rachel Corrie, at Greenwich Theatre - based on the true story of an American activist who was killed when she stepped in front of an Israeli bulldozer that was going to demolish a Palestinian home. I'm going with London Fun (LF) (which I joined by invitation from the organiser, a LoMAZ member..) - eating at the Greenwich Tavern beforehand.

Tomorrow night, I'm hosting more storytelling with LoMAZ! courtesy of the Crick Crack Club (CCC). I only just remembered to set up the WhatsApp group that we do for each event. This one is Dauntless, the true story of Granuaile (aka Grace O' Malley), female Irish pirate, who won an audience with Elizabeth I. Indeed, it's only from English records that we know about her at all! Happening at Hoxton Hall. I'm eating in Schnitzel Heaven beforehand. Optional drinks afterwards at the Howl at the Moon pub (an Irish bar with the best pub name I think I've ever heard!).

On Thursday, I'm with CT at Inala, a new South African musical at the House of Sisters Grimm.

On Friday, back with The Hideout for Other Mommy, in which the mother of the family gets impersonated by something altogether more sinister! Jessica Chastain plays both the mommy, and her substitute.. Details TBC.

On Saturday, I'm with TAC for The Dirty Thirty - Best of 2026! in which they contract 30 plays into one hour. Showing at the Rosemary Branch Theatre. I've seen this show before, it was good.

Then it's three Meetup days in a row. On Sunday, back with LoMAZ for an event (kind of) related to our Dracula activities, this being as they say, the closest castle in a wood that they can get to London! We're meeting in Oxleas Wood Cafe (if you go down to the woods today..) and visiting Severndroog Castle. Which has an 86-step spiral staircase (heh) up to the furnished rooms and viewing platform. Yes, well. I'll take a look at the staircase and decide. And thence to t' pub, TBC. And I just found out last night that that's LoMAZ's birthday! Aw shucks..

On Monday, back with UITCS for Bull, a play about power plays at work. Showing at Park Theatre.

And next Tuesday, I had booked with TAC for What are We Going to Do when this is all Over?, a play about a couple, one of whom is developing dementia. Showing in the Hen & Chickens. But just today, The Hideout/Movie Roadhouse London advertised Tenzing, a new film about the first ascent of Everest, showing in Picturehouse Central! Stars Willem Dafoe and Caitríona Balfe, with Tom Hiddleston as Edmund Hillary. I do love my mountains.. and this sounds more interesting than the play, TBH. Eating in Bella Italia Shaftesbury Avenue beforehand - and Bella Italia have a 30% offer off food, running to the 18th, every day except Saturday!

On the 14th, the first of four days of horror, with a talk about Vampires, Desire & the Queer Imagination. It's happening in the Blues Kitchen Brixton - tickets from Eventbrite. And I'm eating there beforehand. Livestream tickets also available, in which case you also get a recording.

Then three more days of Meetup. On the 15th, back with Museum, Art & Culture Socials (MACS), for a Phantom Femmes ghost tour with Herstorical Tours! We're meeting at Costa in Farringdon, and finishing in a pub. Which, according to their website, is the Viaduct, but we shall see.

Then two days of LoMAZ. On the 16th, another LoMAZ Dracula event - we're off to see the uncut version of Dracula (AKA Horror of Dracula) (1958) with Christopher Lee - the cut footage was apparently originally considered too scary for the general public - showing that night only in the Vue Leicester Square. Eating beforehand in the Marketplace Food Hall, and heading to the pub (TBC) afterwards.

And on the 17th, I'm hosting more storytelling, courtesy of the CCC - this time it's Daniel Morden, who's telling The Luck Child & Other Strange Tales in Jacksons Lane.

That being in the afternoon, I've now booked something for the evening - The Hideout is off to Hallowe'en at Kew, so I've signed up! We're meeting in The Tap on the Line beforehand, and I'm coming early to grab a bite to eat.

Then it's three days of music with CT, the first two of which are classical music. On the 18th, I'm in Conway Hall for their Sunday concerts - on this occasion, it's a choral concert entitled In Sweet Music is Such Art. 

And on the 19th, I'm going to The Liberal Club, of all places, to the David Lloyd George room, where they hold all their public events, for a piano concert called Norwegian Seasons. Fun thing is, CT made sure to warn me that it was formal dress.. but I checked online, and both the club website, and AI, seem to agree that it's smart casual! Well, that means I shouldn't have to go and buy an evening dress.. if they throw me out, I guess they throw me out!

And on the 20th, I'm at the Albert Hall for The Moonwalkers, with a score performed by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, and two specially created films about space exploration, the titular film narrated and co-written by Tom Hanks. 

On the 21st, I'm back with LF at Leicester Square Theatre, for Rosie Holt: The Illegal Aliens Have Landed! Eating beforehand, of course, at Bella Italia Cranbourn Street.

And then I'm on holiday for the rest of the month! And thus begins 13 days of Meetup, and 11 straight days of horror.. On the 22nd.. I fly to Dublin for the Bram Stoker Festival (starts the next day)! Again, part of the LoMAZ Dracula shenanigans. Flying to/from Gatwick - out with Ryanair, back with Easyjet. I'm flying a day early and returning a day late, to make sure I don't miss anything - and am hosting a group there. I'm meeting up with an old, Dublin-based friend and her fiancé that evening. We decided to have dinner in the Good World Chinese restaurant, which was always a favourite of ours. Now, when I was booking this, it had to be by phone or internet form - it was noisy where I was, so I filled out the form. Never did get a response, so I finally rang them - no record of the booking, of course, but we're now booked. Anyway, I'm staying in Staycity aparthotel in the Liberties.

The festival kicks off on the 23rd - but do you know, as we were browsing the schedule, events were selling out in front of us! So the only thing I managed to get booked that day is a live horror podcast called Petrified, showing in the Project Arts Centre. Eating at Smokin' Bones afterwards - and with people in the group arriving at different times, I only have one companion for that, at time of writing. How bad! I started out with bar seating, but when I amended the booking to two people, I got standard seating.. much better..

On the morning of the 24th, again as part of the festival, there's a treasure hunt in the National Library. Tickets are free, and available from midday on the 14th.

That evening, a couple of us are going to a play that's running throughout the festival - Stitch is billed as an homage to Frankenstein, and claims to explore our capacity to be both monster and maker. Playing at Smock Alley Theatre - some of us are eating at Lundy Foot's afterwards, which is right beside it, and wouldn't give us a booking after 8pm! which is when the play finishes. So we're rushing right there.

On the 25th, we were talking about starting with brunch/lunch in Doyle's - another internet form, another non-reply. But behold and lo, I hadn't noticed that they don't open that early there on Sundays! Shelley, who's also coming, found us an alternative, and we're now brunching/lunching in Cafe 1920 at the Fleet Hotel. Anyway, it's convenient to Trinity College, where we're headed to a couple of talks that afternoon, in the Graduate Memorial Building - to which, I must say, they provided excellent directions! First up is Dacre Stoker, a relative of Bram, with a talk called Stoker on Stoker.

Later, there's a talk on Stoker on the Runway: The Gothic in Contemporary Fashion.

And that evening, again at Shelley's suggestion, a few of us are dining at Fallon & Byrne. All these eateries are new to me, BTW!

For those of us left, there's a Macnas parade ("Fiáin", which means "wild") on the 26th. We might head out of the city a bit on one of these days, for some sightseeing..

I fly back on the 27th, and am rushing off, with The Hideout, to the Prince Charles Hallowe'en Quiz that night. Victory House bar beforehand, as usual.

On the 28th, well, someone in LoMAZ flagged a different storytelling group to me - so I'm hosting a trip to see the Bloomsbury Folklore Club talk about vampires and the undead, downstairs at Waterstone's Bloomsbury. Tickets from Eventbrite. And there's a bar down there too!

On the 29th, the Prince Charles (PCC) is doing a vampire day! So I said I'd take the day off for that.. and with the first two days of the week off as well, why, I said I might as well take the whole week off! so I am. This vampire day has a variety of vampire films.. I'm starting with From Dusk till Dawn, because I've never seen it - stars Harvey Keitel, George Clooney, Juliette Lewis, Tarantino (would you believe), who also co-wrote it, and Salma Hayek.. it's about a couple of criminals who hole up in a truck stop that turns out to be populated by vampires! With Salma Hayek's character name of Santanico Pandemonium, I have to wonder whether she isn't one of them.. 

Then I'm seeing Sinners, because I just love it. Afterwards, I should just have time to eat in Bella Italia..

Before I join The Hideout for The Lost Boys, which I've also never seen! All about a town full of vampires. Kiefer Sutherland is one of them. Back to Victory House again beforehand, of course.

On the 30th, back with The Hideout for Crawlers.. the latest spider horror! Details TBC.

And on Hallowe'en itself.. I have two Meetups! First up is Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpies, with a walk around Sensational Soho!

And that evening - I couldn't resist Hallowe'en at the Museum! Happening at the Natural History Museum, with a vampire theme - they have a vampire wedding, a vampire council, vampire bands.. and I am so dressing up for it. I'm hosting with The Hideout (making it my third Hideout day in a row of four - and the first time I'll have hosted for them), and nominally with LoMAZ - except that nobody has signed up on the LoMAZ side yet. Except one, who's also attending with The Hideout. Well, tickets are £65..

On the 1st, back with MACS for the Korean exhibition at the British Museum. Pub social afterwards, location TBD.

I can't stay long though - back that evening with The Hideout for the director's cut of Ken Russell's The Devils, at the PCC! Couldn't resist, I love this debauched vision (even censored) of the possessions at Loudun, where a hysterical group of young nuns gave testimony that the magician responsible was one Fr. Urbain Grandier (Oliver Reed) - the fact that he'd gone up against the powerful Cardinal Richelieu probably didn't help. Also stars Vanessa Redgrave. Meeting in Victory House beforehand, as usual.

And finally, two days of UITCS - on the 2nd, at Dogstar, at Hampstead Theatre.

And on the 3rd, Five Days in the Sun at Sadler's Wells. Eating at The Wilmington beforehand.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film: They Will Kill You & Musical: Lifeline

Spring, Not Quite Summer, Social & Cutty Sark

Show: An Act(Or?)