Social, Dance: Flamenc-Oh!, & Film: Coyote Vs. ACME
Last Tuesday, was thinking of cinema - coming up was, again, Coyote Vs. ACME, a partly animated comedy based on the roadrunner cartoons, in which Coyote sues ACME, whose products always blow up in his face. It's getting great reviews - nearest showing to me is in the Odeon Luxe Haymarket, and again I'd have to leave home quite early for it. But just on Monday, I was in touch with my friend James, first time in about a month - and we decided to meet on Tuesday evening in The Phoenix. As usual.
With the buses delayed, I took the Tube, and made it a bit before him - the outside tables were full, to my surprise on a weekday! Mind you, we have never been here on a weekday before.. happily, despite a large standing crowd inside too, there were a few free tables, and I took one in the window. As he pointed out when he arrived, this was probably the after-work crowd, which should thin out. Which it did.
He had his usual fish n chips, I had my usual steak - happy to report it's as good as ever! And we chatted for a few hours, till he had to catch a train back. It was great to see him.. hope it won't be too long till the next time.
Now, this blog has been quite severely delayed - simply because I've been booking so much ahead! Anyway, last Wednesday, I booked with CT to see Franz & Marie, a new folk musical version of Woyzeck, in preview at Charing Cross Theatre. Booked to eat in Bella Italia Strand beforehand - I see they don't do the discounts any more than the branch in Cranbourn Street.
Ah.. but last Wednesday afternoon, CT emailed to say that, because of cast illness, that evening's performance had been cancelled! Bummer.. well, I checked to see what else was on - and what I found was Flamenc-Oh!, in the Peacock Theatre, with TAC. Well, I'm a sucker for flamenco, so I booked - got a ticket for around half price. Cancelled my booking at Bella Italia - figured I'd eat at Shakespeare's Head, just up the road from the theatre.
..and then I saw the crowds in Shakespeare's Head. Walked right through it, not a single free table. I'd passed an All Bar One, so I just went there instead - got a table no problem, and I have to say, it's the first All Bar One where I've ever managed to order from the table! Turned out to be a good idea too, as I had my drink before the girls at the next table even got to the bar, being stuck in a queue! Delighted to see they do carafes here - and the schnitzel was absolutely gorgeous, so succulent, covered in - well, the juice of something. Not sure what, but it was delicious. Lovely dip too, which I used for the chips. I always love All Bar One's schnitzels.
And so to the theatre - where they were only checking large bags, so I sailed through. I'd been emailed my ticket before I arrived, and was in the Stalls - the Stalls bar was packed, and when I got my drink, I was delighted to see the doors open soon after. Also delighted with my seat, in Row E of the Stalls:
D' you know, a lady just across from me had brought her lapdog! Wow, never seen that before in a theatre - delighted they allow it here.
Right - so this isn't straightforward flamenco - it's actually a comedy, with narration, about a "traditional" Spanish family. The patriarch is a dragon, enforcing impossibly high standards of flamenco for his family - his wife follows his lead, but their son will never be up to scratch, and their daughter has her head absolutely turned by the dashing young guitarist dad has employed to help in teaching them..
It is funny. And having said that it's not straightforward flamenco, their talent is obvious. Dad comes in through the audience, breaking into a flamenco song in the aisle, in his booming voice. All the dancing is terrific. And that guitarist.. ay! They make a play of how handsome he is (funniest part of the whole thing, if you ask me), but he can definitely play guitar. He keeps breaking into pop hits (to the delight of the brother and sister, but not of dad), but there is a snatch of Asturias that absolutely melted me. Would I have preferred more of that kind of thing? Yes. But this is very enjoyable - and well done, the audience was hard to move, but they did finally get them on their feet. This was the first night - it runs to the 10th - recommended.
Yesterday, thought of film again - and what was coming up was something I saw the trailer for ages ago; Tony is the story of how Anthony Bourdain became a chef. He's played by Dominic Sessa, his mentor by Antonio Banderas. Closest showing to me that evening was in the Barbican. But since I hadn't gone to Coyote Vs. ACME yet, I went last night instead. Still on quite early in the Odeon Luxe Haymarket, but of course I'm walking distance in the office, which is one thing it's handy for!
Walked there, pushing my way through the crowds - was hungry when I got there, so got a packet of Maltesers with my wine. With all I had to carry, I appreciated the usher holding the doors for me! By the time I booked, the most convenient seat was right at the corner - but that turned out to be fine. And for all that the base price was over £20, the recliners are lovely, and I comfortably ate and drank and reclined..
Ah, the people who reviewed are right, the film is marvellous! The animation is seamless, as you'd expect, even with most of the film consisting of human/cartoon interaction - but what I'd forgotten was the sheer wit of the cartoons! You know, for every punchline of a joke, there's a second punchline.. had completely forgotten that, but it's really clever. And as well as Wil E. Coyote and Roadrunner, we get Bugs Bunny (gee, it took me ages to remember his name!), Elmer Fudd, Foghorn Leghorn, and Daffy Duck. Ah, it was marvellous.. and so nostalgic. Delighted I saw it.
With no great eateries in the area since the demise of Angus Steakhouse, I took myself back to The Sun Wharf for dinner - which was excellent - although the cleanliness left a lot to be desired. I took the less dirty of the two free tables.. the first waiter to come took the glasses etc., the second took the fragments of salt packets scattered about, but neither troubled to clean the actual table, covered in drink rings and sticky as it was. Even though one of them was carrying cleaning spray. Ah well..
This evening, I'm back to Ireland for the weekend, because otherwise I shan't get back at all this month! Flying out with Ryanair, and back with Aer Lingus, which was cheaper at short notice.
Tomorrow, I'll probably head to see The Weight, about a depression-era prison inmate (Ethan Hawke), who gets an offer he can't refuse from the warden (Russell Crowe) - join a gang of convicts to transport a quantity of gold bars cross-country, and win his freedom. Showing in Ennis, which is quicker to get to - the friend I usually meet when I go back isn't available.
Back in London, on Monday, I'm with London Museums A-Z (LoMAZ) for a talk entitled "Art Cure: The science of how the arts transform our health" at the Royal Institution. Eating beforehand at Three Jolly Butchers.
On Tuesday, I'm at My Name is Rachel Corrie, at Greenwich Theatre - based on the true story of an American activist who was killed when she stepped in front of an Israeli bulldozer that was going to demolish a Palestinian home. I'm going with London Fun (LF) (which I joined by invitation from the organiser, a LoMAZ member..) - eating at the Greenwich Tavern beforehand.
On Wednesday, I'm hosting more storytelling with LoMAZ! courtesy of the Crick Crack Club (CCC). This one is Dauntless, the true story of Granuaile (aka Grace O' Malley), female Irish pirate, who won an audience with Elizabeth I. Indeed, it's only from English records that we know about her at all! Happening at Hoxton Hall. Optional drinks afterwards at the Howl at the Moon pub (an Irish bar with the best pub name I think I've ever heard!).
On Thursday, I'm with CT at Inala, a new South African musical at the House of Sisters Grimm.
Next Friday, back with The Hideout for Other Mommy, in which the mother of the family gets impersonated by something altogether more sinister! Jessica Chastain plays both the mommy, and her substitute.. Details TBC.
On the 10th, I'm with TAC for The Dirty Thirty - Best of 2026! in which they contract 30 plays into one hour. Showing at the Rosemary Branch Theatre. I've seen this show before, it was good.
Then it's two Meetup days in a row. On the 11th, back with LoMAZ for an event (kind of) related to our Dracula activities, this being as they say, the closest castle in a wood that they can get to London! We're meeting in Oxleas Wood Cafe (if you go down to the woods today..) and visiting Severndroog Castle. Which has an 86-step spiral staircase (heh) up to the furnished rooms and viewing platform. Yes, well. I'll take a look at the staircase and decide. And thence to t' pub, TBC.
And on the 12th, first of two plays in a row, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for Bull, a play about power plays at work. Showing at Park Theatre.
And on the 13th, back with TAC for What are We Going to Do when this is all Over?, a play about a couple, one of whom is developing dementia. Showing in the Hen & Chickens.
On the 14th, the first of four days of horror, with a talk about Vampires, Desire & the Queer Imagination. It's happening in the Blues Kitchen Brixton - tickets from Eventbrite. Livestream tickets also available, in which case you also get a recording.
Then three days of Meetup. On the 15th, back with Museum, Art & Culture Socials (MACS), for a Phantom Femmes ghost tour with Herstorical Tours! We're meeting at Costa in Farringdon, and finishing in a pub. Which, according to their website, is the Viaduct, but we shall see.
Then two days of LoMAZ. On the 16th, another LoMAZ Dracula event - we're off to see the uncut version of Dracula (AKA Horror of Dracula) (1953) with Christopher Lee - the cut footage was apparently originally considered too scary for the general public - showing that night only in the Vue Leicester Square. Eating beforehand in the Marketplace Food Hall, and heading to the pub (TBC) afterwards.
And on the 17th, I'm hosting more storytelling, courtesy of the CCC - this time it's Daniel Morden, who's telling The Luck Child & Other Strange Tales in Jacksons Lane.
Then it's three days of music with CT, the first two of which are classical music. On the 18th, I'm in Conway Hall for their Sunday concerts - on this occasion, it's a choral concert entitled In Sweet Music is Such Art.
And on the 19th, I'm going to The Liberal Club, of all places, to the David Lloyd George room, where they hold all their public events, for a piano concert called Norwegian Seasons. Fun thing is, CT made sure to warn me that it was formal dress.. but I checked online, and both the club website, and AI, seem to agree that it's smart casual! Well, that means I shouldn't have to go and buy an evening dress.. if they throw me out, I guess they throw me out!
And on the 20th, I'm at the Albert Hall for The Moonwalkers, with a score performed by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, and two specially created films about space exploration, the titular film narrated and co-written by Tom Hanks.
On the 21st, I'm back with LF at Leicester Square Theatre, for Rosie Holt: The Illegal Aliens Have Landed! Eating beforehand, of course, at Bella Italia Cranbourn Street.
And then I'm on holiday for the rest of the month! And thus begins 12 days of Meetup, and 10 days of horror.. On the 22nd.. I fly to Dublin for the Bram Stoker Festival (starts the next day)! Again, part of the LoMAZ Dracula shenanigans. Flying to/from Gatwick - out with Ryanair, back with Easyjet. I'm flying a day early and returning a day late, to make sure I don't miss anything - and am hosting a group there, although I doubt anyone else is arriving that day. So I'm meeting up with an old, Dublin-based friend and her fiancé. We're supposed to be having dinner in the Good World Chinese restaurant, which was always a favourite of ours. Now, when I was booking this, it had to be by phone or internet form - I was in the aforementioned All Bar One and it was noisy, so I filled out the form. No response yet. Anyway, I'm staying in Staycity aparthotel in the Liberties.
The festival kicks off on the 23rd - but do you know, as we were browsing the schedule, events were selling out in front of us! So the only thing I managed to get booked that day is a live horror podcast called Petrified, showing in the Project Arts Centre. Eating at Smokin' Bones afterwards - and with people in the group arriving at different times, I only have one companion for that, at time of writing. How bad! I started out with bar seating, but when I amended the booking to two people, I got standard seating.. much better..
On the morning of the 24th, again as part of the festival, there's a treasure hunt in the National Library. Tickets are free, and available from midday on the 14th.
That evening, a couple of us are going to a play that's running throughout the festival - Stitch is billed as an homage to Frankenstein, and claims to explore our capacity to be both monster and maker. Playing at Smock Alley Theatre - some of us are eating at Lundy Foot's afterwards, which is right beside it, and wouldn't give us a booking after 8pm! which is when the play finishes. So we're rushing right there.
On the 25th, we're talking about starting with brunch/lunch in Doyle's - another internet form, another non-reply. I'm gonna have to start chasing these people. Anyway, it's convenient to Trinity College, where we're headed to a couple of talks that afternoon, in the Graduate Memorial Building - to which, I must say, they provided excellent directions! First up is Dacre Stoker, a relative of Bram, with a talk called Stoker on Stoker.
Later, there's a talk on Stoker on the Runway: The Gothic in Contemporary Fashion.
For those of us left, there's a Macnas parade ("Fiáin", which means "wild") on the 26th.
I fly back on the 27th, and am rushing off, with The Hideout, to the Prince Charles Hallowe'en Quiz that night. Victory House bar beforehand, as usual.
On the 28th, well, someone in LoMAZ flagged a different storytelling group to me - so I'm hosting a trip to see the Bloomsbury Folklore Club talk about vampires and the undead, downstairs at Waterstone's Bloomsbury. Tickets from Eventbrite. And there's a bar down there too!
On the 29th, the Prince Charles is doing a vampire day! So I said I'd take the day off for that.. and with the first two days of the week off as well, why, I said I might as well take the whole week off! so I am. This vampire day has a variety of vampire films.. I'm starting with From Dusk till Dawn, because I've never seen it - stars Harvey Keitel, George Clooney, Juliette Lewis, Tarantino (would you believe), who also co-wrote it, and Salma Hayek.. it's about a couple of criminals who hole up in a truck stop that turns out to be populated by vampires! With Salma Hayek's character name of Santanico Pandemonium, I have to wonder whether she isn't one of them..
Then I'm seeing Sinners, because I just love it. Afterwards, I should just have time to eat in Bella Italia..
Before I join The Hideout for The Lost Boys, which I've also never seen! All about a town full of vampires. Kiefer Sutherland is one of them. Back to Victory House again beforehand, of course.
On the 30th, back with The Hideout for Crawlers.. the latest spider horror! Details TBC.
And on Hallowe'en itself.. I have two Meetups! First up is Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpies, with a walk around Sensational Soho!
And that evening - I couldn't resist Hallowe'en at the Museum! Happening at the Natural History Museum, with a vampire theme - they have a vampire wedding, a vampire council, vampire bands.. and I am so dressing up for it. I'm hosting with The Hideout (making it my third Hideout day in a row - and the first time I'll have hosted for them), and nominally with LoMAZ - except that nobody has signed up on the LoMAZ side yet. Well, tickets are £65..
On the 1st, back with MACS for the Korean exhibition at the British Museum. Pub social afterwards, location TBD.
And on the 2nd, back with UITCS for Dogstar, at Hampstead Theatre.

Comments
Post a Comment