Film: The Weight

I'm back in Ireland for the weekend, because otherwise I couldn't get back at all this month! Flew out with Ryanair, and going back with Aer Lingus, which was cheaper at short notice. 

Today, I headed to see The Weight, about a depression-era prison inmate (Ethan Hawke), who gets an offer he can't refuse from the warden (Russell Crowe) - join a gang of convicts to transport a quantity of gold bars cross-country, and win his freedom. It was advertised as showing in Ennis, which is quicker to get to - the friend I usually meet when I go back isn't available. But, as often happens there, when I checked today, it had been removed! Guess they didn't figure it'd be an earner. Happily, it was still showing in Limerick Omniplex - so I went there instead.

There's a Nando's right next door, so I decided to eat there beforehand. By 'eck though, I soon began to think it'd been a bad idea - with two couples waiting before me, we were waiting for over five minutes with servers passing constantly and ignoring us! Dunno what changed - perhaps someone extra came on shift - but we were finally dealt with. And then I had a nightmare with the app - they wanted me to download the Irish app, which I did, which then didn't recognise me for ages. I don't know what finally changed in that case either, but a Google login finally worked. Mind you, with all that delay, plus the time lost in driving through the city in heavy traffic, I was worried about making the film in time - I'd booked the early showing.

I ordered, and needed the loo - the server, who was passing about then, directed me to the disabled toilet, which was, like me, on the ground floor, so I did that. I was conscious of needing to hurry, because I'd ordered wine, and in my experience, Nando's don't like to deliver alcohol to an empty table - perhaps because they want to ensure that it's not going to a juvenile. I needn't have worried - it was waiting for me when I came out.

The food arrived quickly enough - garlic bread was a bit burnt, but the chicken was really succulent. And yes, I was a little late to the cinema - at least I didn't have to buy food or drink, I was sorted - but hey, the trailers were still running. I had booked an armchair - there are only five of them, most of the seats consisting of double sofas.

Ah, this film is excellent! So, so well-directed.. we get an initial sequence to set Ethan Hawke up as a loving father, trying to do his best but failed by the system. By the time we've seen him in prison, we're convinced that he deserves a break. And then he makes this deal, and we get a trek through the forest. The dialogue is sparse - it's primarily an action film, but while I don't generally like action films, I liked this, which made eminent sense. It's the drama of crossing a bridge made out of ropes and wooden slats, and in generally poor repair - genuinely scary. It's the drama of wading across the river, and seeing logs drifting towards you - the loggers transported them that way, it was quicker. Never mind the tension among the characters..

I lived and breathed every scene of this film. Had never heard of it - went for it because of the high rating - and am so glad I did. Highly recommended.

Back in London, on Monday, I'm with London Museums A-Z (LoMAZ) for a talk entitled "Art Cure: The science of how the arts transform our health" at the Royal Institution. Eating beforehand at Three Jolly Butchers.

On Tuesday, I'm at My Name is Rachel Corrie, at Greenwich Theatre - based on the true story of an American activist who was killed when she stepped in front of an Israeli bulldozer that was going to demolish a Palestinian home. I'm going with London Fun (LF) (which I joined by invitation from the organiser, a LoMAZ member..) - eating at the Greenwich Tavern beforehand.

On Wednesday, I'm hosting more storytelling with LoMAZ! courtesy of the Crick Crack Club (CCC). This one is Dauntless, the true story of Granuaile (aka Grace O' Malley), female Irish pirate, who won an audience with Elizabeth I. Indeed, it's only from English records that we know about her at all! Happening at Hoxton Hall. Optional drinks afterwards at the Howl at the Moon pub (an Irish bar with the best pub name I think I've ever heard!).

On Thursday, I'm with CT at Inala, a new South African musical at the House of Sisters Grimm.

On Friday, back with The Hideout for Other Mommy, in which the mother of the family gets impersonated by something altogether more sinister! Jessica Chastain plays both the mommy, and her substitute.. Details TBC.

Next Saturday, I'm with TAC for The Dirty Thirty - Best of 2026! in which they contract 30 plays into one hour. Showing at the Rosemary Branch Theatre. I've seen this show before, it was good.

Then it's two Meetup days in a row. On the 11th, back with LoMAZ for an event (kind of) related to our Dracula activities, this being as they say, the closest castle in a wood that they can get to London! We're meeting in Oxleas Wood Cafe (if you go down to the woods today..) and visiting Severndroog Castle. Which has an 86-step spiral staircase (heh) up to the furnished rooms and viewing platform. Yes, well. I'll take a look at the staircase and decide. And thence to t' pub, TBC.

And on the 12th, first of two plays in a row, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for Bull, a play about power plays at work. Showing at Park Theatre.

And on the 13th, back with TAC for What are We Going to Do when this is all Over?, a play about a couple, one of whom is developing dementia. Showing in the Hen & Chickens.

On the 14th, the first of four days of horror, with a talk about Vampires, Desire & the Queer Imagination. It's happening in the Blues Kitchen Brixton - tickets from Eventbrite. Livestream tickets also available, in which case you also get a recording.

Then three days of Meetup. On the 15th, back with Museum, Art & Culture Socials (MACS), for a Phantom Femmes ghost tour with Herstorical Tours! We're meeting at Costa in Farringdon, and finishing in a pub. Which, according to their website, is the Viaduct, but we shall see.

Then two days of LoMAZ. On the 16th, another LoMAZ Dracula event - we're off to see the uncut version of Dracula (AKA Horror of Dracula) (1953) with Christopher Lee - the cut footage was apparently originally considered too scary for the general public - showing that night only in the Vue Leicester Square. Eating beforehand in the Marketplace Food Hall, and heading to the pub (TBC) afterwards.

And on the 17th, I'm hosting more storytelling, courtesy of the CCC - this time it's Daniel Morden, who's telling The Luck Child & Other Strange Tales in Jacksons Lane.

Then it's three days of music with CT, the first two of which are classical music. On the 18th, I'm in Conway Hall for their Sunday concerts - on this occasion, it's a choral concert entitled In Sweet Music is Such Art. 

And on the 19th, I'm going to The Liberal Club, of all places, to the David Lloyd George room, where they hold all their public events, for a piano concert called Norwegian Seasons. Fun thing is, CT made sure to warn me that it was formal dress.. but I checked online, and both the club website, and AI, seem to agree that it's smart casual! Well, that means I shouldn't have to go and buy an evening dress.. if they throw me out, I guess they throw me out!

And on the 20th, I'm at the Albert Hall for The Moonwalkers, with a score performed by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, and two specially created films about space exploration, the titular film narrated and co-written by Tom Hanks. 

On the 21st, I'm back with LF at Leicester Square Theatre, for Rosie Holt: The Illegal Aliens Have Landed! Eating beforehand, of course, at Bella Italia Cranbourn Street.

And then I'm on holiday for the rest of the month! And thus begins 12 days of Meetup, and 10 days of horror.. On the 22nd.. I fly to Dublin for the Bram Stoker Festival (starts the next day)! Again, part of the LoMAZ Dracula shenanigans. Flying to/from Gatwick - out with Ryanair, back with Easyjet. I'm flying a day early and returning a day late, to make sure I don't miss anything - and am hosting a group there, although I doubt anyone else is arriving that day. So I'm meeting up with an old, Dublin-based friend and her fiancé. We're supposed to be having dinner in the Good World Chinese restaurant, which was always a favourite of ours. Now, when I was booking this, it had to be by phone or internet form - it was noisy where I was, so I filled out the form. No response yet. Anyway, I'm staying in Staycity aparthotel in the Liberties.

The festival kicks off on the 23rd - but do you know, as we were browsing the schedule, events were selling out in front of us! So the only thing I managed to get booked that day is a live horror podcast called Petrified, showing in the Project Arts Centre. Eating at Smokin' Bones afterwards - and with people in the group arriving at different times, I only have one companion for that, at time of writing. How bad! I started out with bar seating, but when I amended the booking to two people, I got standard seating.. much better..

On the morning of the 24th, again as part of the festival, there's a treasure hunt in the National Library. Tickets are free, and available from midday on the 14th.

That evening, a couple of us are going to a play that's running throughout the festival - Stitch is billed as an homage to Frankenstein, and claims to explore our capacity to be both monster and maker. Playing at Smock Alley Theatre - some of us are eating at Lundy Foot's afterwards, which is right beside it, and wouldn't give us a booking after 8pm! which is when the play finishes. So we're rushing right there.

On the 25th, we're talking about starting with brunch/lunch in Doyle's - another internet form, another non-reply. I'm gonna have to start chasing these people. Anyway, it's convenient to Trinity College, where we're headed to a couple of talks that afternoon, in the Graduate Memorial Building - to which, I must say, they provided excellent directions! First up is Dacre Stoker, a relative of Bram, with a talk called Stoker on Stoker.

Later, there's a talk on Stoker on the Runway: The Gothic in Contemporary Fashion.

For those of us left, there's a Macnas parade ("Fiáin", which means "wild") on the 26th.

I fly back on the 27th, and am rushing off, with The Hideout, to the Prince Charles Hallowe'en Quiz that night. Victory House bar beforehand, as usual.

On the 28th, well, someone in LoMAZ flagged a different storytelling group to me - so I'm hosting a trip to see the Bloomsbury Folklore Club talk about vampires and the undead, downstairs at Waterstone's Bloomsbury. Tickets from Eventbrite. And there's a bar down there too!

On the 29th, the Prince Charles is doing a vampire day! So I said I'd take the day off for that.. and with the first two days of the week off as well, why, I said I might as well take the whole week off! so I am. This vampire day has a variety of vampire films.. I'm starting with From Dusk till Dawn, because I've never seen it - stars Harvey Keitel, George Clooney, Juliette Lewis, Tarantino (would you believe), who also co-wrote it, and Salma Hayek.. it's about a couple of criminals who hole up in a truck stop that turns out to be populated by vampires! With Salma Hayek's character name of Santanico Pandemonium, I have to wonder whether she isn't one of them.. 

Then I'm seeing Sinners, because I just love it. Afterwards, I should just have time to eat in Bella Italia..

Before I join The Hideout for The Lost Boys, which I've also never seen! All about a town full of vampires. Kiefer Sutherland is one of them. Back to Victory House again beforehand, of course.

On the 30th, back with The Hideout for Crawlers.. the latest spider horror! Details TBC.

And on Hallowe'en itself.. I have two Meetups! First up is Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpies, with a walk around Sensational Soho!

And that evening - I couldn't resist Hallowe'en at the Museum! Happening at the Natural History Museum, with a vampire theme - they have a vampire wedding, a vampire council, vampire bands.. and I am so dressing up for it. I'm hosting with The Hideout (making it my third Hideout day in a row - and the first time I'll have hosted for them), and nominally with LoMAZ - except that nobody has signed up on the LoMAZ side yet. Well, tickets are £65..

On the 1st, back with MACS for the Korean exhibition at the British Museum. Pub social afterwards, location TBD.

And on the 2nd, back with UITCS for Dogstar, at Hampstead Theatre.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film: They Will Kill You & Musical: Lifeline

Spring, Not Quite Summer, Social & Cutty Sark

Show: An Act(Or?)