Play: Who Killed Marilyn?
Tonight, I was back with TAC to see Who Killed Marilyn? at the Emerald Theatre. Spoiler, this assumes it's the Mafia.. I just got emailed my ticket this afternoon.
Yeah, wasn't enthused by eating options near there - so I decided to eat in The Sun Wharf. Which was lovely.. and where I caught up on the news from Drumcree, where the Orange Lodge has inexplicably been allowed to parade through Catholic areas again, after a 28-year ban. Except they haven't, because protestors have blocked the road. Eh, good to catch up on the news anyway, idiotic as it is..
A long wait for the bus then - but I was early - a walk across the bridge, and straight into the theatre and to the loo. Then to the bar, got a drink. Caveat - I didn't really notice until my second drink, but the drinks cost £2 more than the menu price here - it's a service charge, and compulsory. The wine is decent though.
I was in Row H of the Stalls, which turns out to be in the rear section - which is sofas! which are comfy. Numbers are on the back of the sofas, and I turned out to be right on the end, cosily snuggled beside an elderly couple.
Well - Pixie Lott does an excellent Marilyn. The play does a brief summary of her death, then runs back through a summary of her life, her sundry husbands, and her disastrous relationship with the Kennedys. Nobody comes out of it particularly well - it's an epic tale of abuse from various sides. Honestly, I wasn't terribly enthused by the first half, where she lurches from marriage to marriage as her career takes off.. TBH I fell asleep for part, but hey, I'm not generally sleeping terribly well, so it's understandable. The second half, where she dabbles in serious politics that - according to the play, and it's plausible - leads her to be someone that must be eliminated, because she simply knows too much, is much more interesting.
Yeah, recommended! Runs to the 29th of next month. And happily, I got to shop on the way home - I was peckish.
Tomorrow, was thinking of cinema - coming up is, again, Coyote Vs. ACME, a partly animated comedy based on the roadrunner cartoons, in which Coyote sues ACME, whose products always blow up in his face. It's getting great reviews - nearest showing to me tomorrow is in the Odeon Luxe Haymarket, and again I'd have to leave quite early for it. But just yesterday, I was in touch with my friend James, first time in about a month - and we're meeting tomorrow evening in The Phoenix.
On Wednesday, heading with CT to see Franz & Marie, a new folk musical version of Woyzeck, in preview at Charing Cross Theatre. Eating in Bella Italia Strand beforehand - I see they don't do the discounts any more than the branch in Cranbourn Street.
On Thursday, thinking of film again - and what's coming up is something I saw the trailer for ages ago; Tony is the story of how Anthony Bourdain became a chef. He's played by Dominic Sessa, his mentor by Antonio Banderas. Closest showing to me that evening is in the Barbican. But since I'm not going to Coyote Vs. ACME tomorrow now, I'll probably go on Thursday instead. Still on quite early in the Odeon Luxe Haymarket. And then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend, because otherwise I shan't get back at all next month!

Comments
Post a Comment