Play: Jeeves Takes Charge

Now in a run of four more Meetup days. Last night, I was finally back with Up in the Cheap Seats for Jeeves Takes Charge, at the Charing Cross Theatre.

Well, I was in the office, as usual on a Thursday. And it turned out to be the last day at work for a co-worker I've been friendly with - and I was on a Teams call when I vaguely heard a few people were headed for drinks. It took just a few seconds for me to drop what I was doing and join them - my bit of the meeting had already been dealt with. So I scuttled off, and caught up with them at the door of the building. They decided The Angel was the closest - as I said to them, I've often eaten there when on socials with the London Horror Film Group (although wow, it's been over a year now), and I could recommend the chicken schnitzel. A couple of others took my word, and ordered it.

My boss kindly paid for the first round of drinks - unfortunately, I went for a second before the scrum master who'd come along announced he'd pay for a second round! We were seated in the beer garden - funnily enough, I'd never been out there; the London Horror Film Group doesn't frequent the outside! We had a nice, shady corner - and sure enough, the schnitzel was as yummy as I remembered. And we had a great chat, as I displayed my drinking prowess, which they'd never really noticed before. Wow though, although we'd had a few drops throughout lunch, it was really unexpected when it started to pour rain! How long had it been since THAT last happened in London..?! We dived for a table with an umbrella. And when someone was trying to remember when the next meeting started, why, I stayed schtum, and left it to that scrum master to chase us.. which she duly did, whereupon we sculled the remainder of our drinks and trotted off. And it was left to me, entering the conference room, to explain that the others had detoured to the loo, and would be along shortly.. ;-)

Now, not only was this a great chance to hang out with my co-workers - and bid farewell to the one that was leaving - but it was very well-timed, as I no longer have a decent eatery near Charing Cross Theatre. So I went straight there after work, running straight into the organiser in the bar. Where we chatted merrily before going in - it was just the two of us. (Note - there are two sides to the bar, and I was charged 75p more for the same drink at the inside..) Now, I had a "bench" seat - I initially thought it was on the balcony, but no, it turned out to be a seating area I'd never before noticed, near the stage, and accessed by steps from the stalls. I was in the one on the far side, and closest to the stage, which I could see about half of:


So, I could pretty much never see the explanatory title bar on the back wall, which gives the location - but the sole actor did spend most of his time front of stage, and when he wasn't, it was still clear enough what was happening. Actually, I'd been a bit worried, upon hearing that he was taking on all 23 roles - I had visions of the pretty awful one-woman production of Dracula that I'd seen. I needn't have worried - in this play, there are only two main characters - Bertie Wooster, the hapless idle gentleman who keeps getting into scrapes, and his long-suffering, but infinitely calmer and more sensible, valet, Jeeves. The others pass in and out of the story, and only appear briefly.

And I have to say, he does a smashing job. If you like the stories - and I do - you'll like this humorous take on them, as Bertie lurches from crisis to crisis, rescued by Jeeves. Very funny, beautifully played, highly recommended. Runs to the 6th. And I was too tired again last night, to blog.

Tonight, back with The Hideout for Insidious: Out of the Further. Love this series.. and lo, this'll mean I'll have been to four Hideout events in a row! The venue has finally been announced as the Vue Leicester Square, and we're meeting in a new location beforehand - Joshua's Tavern at The Londoner. And, of course, I've booked Bella Italia before that.

The weekend, as so often, belongs to London Museums A-Z. Tomorrow, I'm on a daytrip with them to Cardiff.. haven't been there since a U2 concert, back in 2009! Booked my train with Uber, who got me an economical split fare without me having to figure anything out, and we'll be heading to the castle and the museum.

On Sunday, we're going to a Mozart prom..

And then I'm racing across town to co-host a Dracula event at the British Museum - we're viewing Room 47, which has exhibits relating to the 1800s.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film: They Will Kill You & Musical: Lifeline

Spring, Not Quite Summer, Social & Cutty Sark

Dark Secrets: The Esoteric Exhibition