Film: Love Me Tender
Tonight, I was off to a film (second in a row) called Love Me Tender at the Arzner - my first time there, although it's my closest cinema. It specialises in gay film, and this is a French film about a gay, divorced woman (Vicky Krieps), fighting with her ex-husband for custody of their son. It was booking out, so I booked. Lovely and late, which allowed me to catch up with myself. Mostly.
I thought about eating at the Flour & Grape, nearby, beforehand. Now, they don't take reservations - they say it's fine getting a table before 5pm, but of course I was later than that. I rocked up anyway - happily, it's a short walk from home - and asked. I was told there'd be a 90-minute wait for a table for 1, it being 7pm. Hah! Not only is nothing worth that, but that was around when my film was starting! I had a look at other eateries around, but either they were full or I didn't fancy the menu - I eventually traipsed up to Simon the Tanner, which at least had the reputation of being quiet.
Oh Lordy, they have a weird wine list - the only one I recognised was Picpoul, which I hate. So I had the house white - which was fine, for once. And a couple of packets of moreish crisps, which constituted dinner. They do serve food - but honestly, the menu didn't appeal.
And so to the cinema, where I was early - I had to ask where the screen was, and was told it was the door marked as the fire escape. Which, I guess, is reassuring. Wasn't open yet, so I had another drink.
This is a fantastic film.. I said, coming out, that it had to have a female director, and so it proved. It's a moving story - but mostly, it's so sensual. The pouring rain as they're sitting at a cafe. The emphasis on the movement of the water as she's swimming. The golden sunlight on her skin as she's cycling. The sex, which mostly focuses on faces and feelings. Even as she's giving official evidence, her voice is drowned out by violins..
A memorable film, highy recommended.

Comments
Post a Comment