Walking Westminster Tour
Yesterday, my second Meetup in a row, back with Rewind Tours of London, for a Walking Westminster Tour. I nipped out the door to catch the bus.. of course, had to walk a bit to do that. And wouldn't you know it, a huge crowd again. But what I'd noticed on the way - was that Tower Bridge Road was blocked off. Which was where the buses were diverted by. So.. no buses. I made for the Tube instead.. second day in a row, there were severe delays on the Jubilee Line - this time, there'd apparently been a fire. Well, that was out, and I'd never make it in time on the bus now - but of course, there are alternatives on the Tube..
So I took the Northern Line - and what Google Maps recommended me was to change at Euston, for the Victoria Line. The Northern Line wasn't that well airconditioned - but neither was it that crowded. But O.M.G. what I faced on the Victoria Line..
It's a long and convoluted trek from the Northern to the Victoria Line in Euston - and when I got there, I could see there'd be trouble, there were such crowds on the platform. I managed to slither into a space in the second row of people waiting.. and when the train arrived, and we went to get on, there was, predictably a massive crush. I managed to squeeze in, just.
What happened next was, I think, nobody's fault. A family were getting off there - but the dad had apparently been delayed getting off, for whatever reason, and was now having trouble squeezing through the boarding passengers. I honestly didn't even see him - and he was making so little progress, it was hard to tell he was actually trying to get off until someone else said it, urging the others to make a path. Unfortunately, at some point he decided enough was enough and just started pushing forward.. I wasn't expecting it, and very nearly got shoved off the train. He had a rucksack too, you see.. twice, I nearly fell out onto the platform, and ended up having to grab the doorway.. as it was actually closing. All ended well.. but he was visibly angry on the platform.. and I was shaking, I'd had such a fright..
Alighted a few stops later - which was much easier - and joined the walk. Directions had been well given, and I found the guide without trouble - one of the group from Saturday was there as well, and I regaled them with my tale of woe before we started.. I was actually still shaking. It was the guide who spotted that my arm was filthy - of course, anything that's not normally touched by passengers (like the Tube door) is always filthy on the Tube, and I had a long streak of dirt along my arm. My hand was filthy too.. and it's that really thick soot that's so hard to remove. Happily, we were standing beside the Diana fountain, which actually had a jet of drinking water, which I used to wash up, and dried myself with a hanky.
Sadly, most of the people who signed up on Meetup never made it - I hate that, it's only good manners to cancel if you can't come. Anyway, in due course we were off! An initial stop allowed our guide to give us a brief history of Westminster.. including something I hadn't heard of, the origin of the name Constitution Hill.. apparently comes from Charles II taking strolls in the park for his constitution! Walking downhill, we came to the WW2 Canada memorial, which I'd never before seen, nor heard of:
I'd heard of the intruder, Michael Fagan, who managed to break in, some years ago.. didn't know he had done it before, and wandered around, eating and drinking! Alarms were triggered, but they thought they were faulty. Unbelievable.. As we walked on, our guide pointed out that the Union Jack was flying above the palace, rather than the royal standard, which would indicate that the monarch is in residence. This particular monarch prefers Clarence House, however, where he spent most of his life before taking the throne, and which is cosier - so I doubt we'll be seeing the royal standard over the palace much for the foreseeable future!
Walking down the Mall was interesting, as we walked along the road, unable to move to the pavement for a while because the cycle lane was so busy.. anyway, our next stop was the pleasant surrounds of St. James' Park:
Most of the tourists were interested in feeding the ducks and swans - our guide had the more interesting pelicans in mind!
The first were apparently brought here as a gift from the Russian ambassador in 1664! The adjacent lodge belongs to the keeper, who feeds them - the public is forbidden from doing so:
I tell you what was fascinating though was the story of Big Ben (the bell in the clock tower), how difficult it was to install it, taking men 32 hours to winch up.. so it's no wonder, when they got it up there, and when they hit it with a hammer, it cracked, they weren't going to start over! No, they did a patch job on the bell.. which actually gave it a distinctive sound!
Another fact-packed and entertaining tour from this guide! Looking forward to the new ones he has planned.
















Comments
Post a Comment