I'm Not Myself Today - A Villainous Cabaret & Prom: Also Sprach Zarathustra

Back to London last Sunday - and a palaver to get home. So glad it's not a regular event anymore. I flew into Heathrow, so had to travel all the way across town.. having not taken the Elizabeth Line on Friday, I didn't take it on Sunday either, having checked and seen that, by the time I was taking it, it didn't go further than Paddington. So, Tube it was.. but I had to change at Green Park for the Jubilee Line, and when I saw how late it was getting, I thought to check what time the last Jubilee Line left there. Sure enough, midnight - all Tube lines that aren't all-nighters finish between midnight and 12.30am. And it was past midnight. That wasn't the most sensible place to exit then.. I checked the map of stations on the Piccadilly Line, which of course is the one that runs from Heathrow, and realised that I could get off at Holborn, from which I could get the #188 bus straight home.

I exited the station to the sound of many happy, and noisy, Spaniards, celebrating that night's World Cup win. I had plenty of time to listen to them, what with the pubs closed now, and people draped in Spanish flags trotting up and down the streets.. the scheduled #188 never came. Despairing of it, I decided to take the next bus to Waterloo and catch the #381. A fair wait I had for that too.. but at least that was anticipated. And as I waited, a minute or so before the #381 arrived, I saw the #188 pass.. well, the #381 actually got me home slightly faster; as I walked home after getting off, the #188 passed me. I saved a couple of minutes there. Whoo.

On Monday, I was back with CT for I'm Not Myself Today - A Villainous Cabaret. Showing at the Bread & Roses, it sounded interesting, with a soundtrack composed entirely of songs about, or by, villains. I arrived early, seeing the pub supposedly does food - no food. I had a couple of glasses of wine, a packet of very bland salted peanuts, and a packet of Tayto, when I saw they had them. Meanwhile, a little dog attracted much attention, and sundry people arrived for the show, including a group of his friends - you could tell, they were saying it to someone. Oh, and the performer himself stopped by the bar to get a quick drink as he was preparing - you couldn't mistake him, with his green hair and white-painted face.



The prep must have taken longer than anticipated - the bell rang late, and we climbed upstairs, where I took a seat behind his friends.


The show lasted about an hour. I was looking at my watch long before that. O dear.. I mean, who decided this was a good idea?! Far from being a cabaret, it's a narcissistic self-revelation, in which he trawls through the traumatic experiences of his youth and paints himself as having turned into a (sympathetic) villain. Under the sheet is duly revealed a kind of mad scientist's machine. It's a shame, because he obviously put a lot of work into it, and when he does sing (which isn't that often), he proves he has a lovely voice. Well, I suppose I'm the wrong audience anyway - I just don't like the autobiographical stuff. He's taking it to Edinburgh, and I wish him well - just not my thing.

Afterwards, checking what eateries were around, I hit on a Nando's, conveniently located on my way home - so I headed there, and was most excellently fed: the more so because I'd earned enough points for a free meal! Unfortunately, I ordered a second glass of wine, and service disappeared completely - dunno why, but when I went up to the counter to check, the order had completely vanished from the board. She found it, and apologised profusely. Otherwise, as I say, it was great.

Now, I've had way too much else going on to blog. Last night, I headed to the Proms - specifically, Also Sprach Zarathustra - at the Royal Albert Hall, and my sometime companion was coming too - it was actually her suggestion. I was eating at the Elgar Room beforehand - it was an early show, and an early dinner, so I took a half-day from work - I certainly have them to spare. She didn't fancy that - but I wanted more than they have in the cafe.

Thank goodness for the half-day, although it didn't seem to make a dent in the amount of stuff I have to do - but I needed to leave earlier than I otherwise could. I checked with AI, and entry is by Door 8, with a show ticket - handily, the restaurant is on the same level as our seats were. Service was quick and friendly - the prices are atrocious. I eschewed a glass of Sauvignon Blanc, at £24, and went for the slightlier more wallet-friendly Chenin Blanc, at £17. Which was very palatable.

The menu is set, two courses for £54, three for £63. I decided to try the squid starter, and the sirloin (£15 supplement). I also got a complimentary slice of bread, with a side of what looked like Béarnaise butter. The butter was fine.. the bread was slightly warm, and shall we say, was crunchy. Rock-hard, and I didn't finish it.

My starter arrived while I was still munching my way through the bread, the squid all cut into bitesize chunks. It comes with what they call a green curry mayonnaise.. and wow, talk about a taste sensation! Absolutely gorgeous, and the highlight of the whole meal. I can't say the same for the steak, which was greatly improved by being doused in the accompanying peppercorn sauce, which wasn't listed on the menu, so I'm very glad the waiter suggested it.

My companion arrived while I was still eating - I checked, and it was ok for her to come in just for a drink. Since she's on medication, she went for coffee. It's a pity I didn't have time for dessert - the crunch caramel cake sounded absolutely delicious - but it was a relief to my wallet, when the bill (including £5 for coffee) came to over £110. I tell you, I won't be there often..

And so to our seats, which had a slightly restricted view, but as she said (and I agree), why do you need to see the orchestra?


The first two pieces, neither of which I was familiar with, each had a suitably dramatic touch - the second was by Sibelius, whom I always love. Into the interval, and a huge queue to get wine - Chenin Blanc again - I picked up a glass of water at the side for my companion, which was much easier, as bottles and glasses had just been left there.

The title piece, after the interval, of course, was what everyone was waiting for - the programmes trumpeted its starring role in 2001: A Space Odyssey. Even the orchestra backdrop showed a starry picture. And yes, it's suitably dramatic, the percussion, which was the easiest to see from our vantage point, having the most exciting role. But you know, caveat.. that exciting bit, with booming drums and clashing cymbals, is only the start of the piece.. you have half an hour to sit through much more sedate music. But it was a lovely concert.

Straight home afterwards, but still no blogging - I'm having one of those incredibly busy weeks. And the next three days seem likely to be films. Tonight, I'm delighted to be seeing Coup '53 finally - it's a documentary about the joint CIA/MI6 operation in 1953 to overthrow the Iranian Prime Minister, who had just nationalised the Iranian oil industry, which had previously operated under the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company (now BP). The operation was Churchill's idea (always far too interested in meddling in other countries, that man). Showings are limited, so I missed it before.. it's now showing in the Arthouse Crouch End, and was mostly sold out when I looked, so I booked. It's quite a ways away, but I do want to see this.

Tomorrow, I was thinking of The Last Viking, which I'd intended to see on the 12th, but didn't - it's a crime comedy with Mads Mikkelson, who plays a man under the delusion that he's John Lennon. Evening showing is in the Ritzy.

Ah, but speaking of Odysseys.. the big release of the summer is, arguably, The Odyssey, just released, and which I'd have seen at the weekend, had I had the time. The story of the epic poem, it's directed, written, and co-produced, by Christopher Nolan, and for the cast, it looks like they went through the Hollywood phone book and played eeny-meeny-miny-mo.. there's:
  • Matt Damon as Odysseus, King of Ithaca, who spends 10 years fighting the Trojan War, and then gets.. delayed on the way home, spending another 10 years getting there, and giving his name to the trip. I have a vague memory that this was a curse on him after he annoyed some god or other, but can't find anything about it now.
  • Anne Hathaway as his long-suffering wife, Penelope, who spends 20 years awaiting his return. Ages well.
  • Tom Holland as their son, Telemachus. So she'd have been 13 when she had him, Odysseus 25. Yeah, works..
  • Robert Pattinson as Antinous, who, while Odysseus is away so long (presumed dead), takes advantage of his home, tries to woo Penelope and kill Telemachus, and generally makes a nuisance of himself.
  • Mia Goth as Melantho, a favourite slave of Penelope's, who becomes the lover of one of her suitors, and is disrespectful to Odysseus when he finally returns, in disguise, not recognising him.
  • Charlize Theron as Calypso, a nymph that detains Odysseus for seven years, until the gods force her to let him go.
  • Zendaya as Athena, Goddess of Wisdom and War.
  • Lupita Nyong'o as Helen, whose beauty sparked the Trojan War, when she left her husband, Menelaus, King of the warlike Sparta, to elope with Paris, a Trojan prince. Also plays Helen's half-sister, Clytemnestra.
Well, that should be fun! No wonder it runs to three hours.. I'll be in the office tomorrow, so am seeing it in the Odeon Tottenham Court Road, on their fancy Laser screen. Always cheaper to book online with Odeon, so I have.

And on Friday, I'm thinking of Sherlock Jr., a Buster Keaton comedy, in which he turns detective when accused of a crime he didn't commit. Showing in the Finsbury Park Picturehouse.

The weekend, I'm finally back with Meetup - on Saturday, it's third time lucky for the London Sci-Fi / Fantasy Meetup Group, who had their social cancelled twice by the Mad Hatter for the World Cup! Yes, they are still having it there..

And on Sunday, back with Rewind Tours of London, for a Walking Westminster Tour.

Monday is looking like another film, and what's coming up is Vie Privée (A Private Life), in which Jodie Foster, in a bilingual performance, plays an American psychiatrist living in France and investigating the death of one of her patients, whom she believes was murdered. Showing in the Curzon Bloomsbury.

On Tuesday, I'm back with CT for Ludwig: Unfinished Business, a comedy about Beethoven, showing in the Playground Theatre and performed by an actual pianist. Another Fringe preview.

Next, thinking of two more days of film. Next Wednesday, I'm doing something rather related to London Museums A-Z's ongoing Dracula events - they're showing the original Nosferatu in Wilton's Music Hall, with live music, and another of the group is also going. I'm eating in Cote St. Katharine Docks beforehand.

And on the 30th, thinking of Life Support, a documentary about the medics operating in Gaza. Evening showing is in the Rio Dalston.

Finally, I end the month on the 31st with CT, heading to a concert called Sirens, with an all-female group singing classic numbers in the Emerald Theatre. Eating in L' Ulivo beforehand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film: They Will Kill You & Musical: Lifeline

Dark Secrets: The Esoteric Exhibition

Spring, Not Quite Summer, Social & Cutty Sark