Film: Blood Simple

These two days, I planned film, but didn't book - so my plans were subject to change; Blink Twice is just out, and just rated - but not highly enough to interest me yet. Today, the plan was to go to Alien: Romulus at last - showing in my closest, the Curzon Aldgate. There were three different showings today, so I said I'd wait and see what suited. And wouldn't you know, the rating slipped.. so I went to see Blood Simple instead. The first Coen brothers film, I'd never actually seen it! Stars Dan Hedaya as the owner of a seedy bar, whose wife, Frances McDormand (in her first starring role), is having an affair with one of his employees, John Getz. So he hires M. Emmet Walsh to kill them both. Holly Hunter appears as an uncredited voice on an answering machine. Showing at The Garden Cinema - a later evening showing, so I figured I should make this one! I see it's a "members' choice" - nice to see they get to choose films here sometimes, as well as at the Prince Charles.

I had a lovely, relaxing day.. mind you, by the time I came to leave, it was lashing rain! I was glad I hadn't headed to the Curzon Aldgate on foot.. Made it in in good time into town, and had ideas about eating in The Hercules Pillars. However, they don't let you book for just one person - and when I arrived, it was completely full, people watching what appeared to be American football. I ended up, quite happily, in the local Nando's - where the food was delicious, and I very nearly had time for dessert. Except I was enjoying the wine, so I just had another of those - it'd have been tight to have dessert as well.

My, it's an age since I was last at this cinema! Not for want of trying, of course - twice, I booked for films and couldn't make them in time. Third time lucky.. I brandished my ticket at the box office, and got directions to the toilet - just as well, considering I couldn't find it before! Down ONE flight of stairs, turn left, red door. Yes, I found it - and some more of the decor for which this place is rightly famous!



The guy at the bar wasn't moving very fast, but I persevered, and got my drink - when I came into the screen, someone was giving a speech about the film (perhaps the person who proposed it). Anyway, I was in time for the trailers - and what should I see first up, but another for Kneecap! Lordy, that film really is everywhere..

So. Blood Simple has a simple premise, as stated above. But Lordy, what they do with it.. Dan Hedaya does a plausible rendition of De Niro, all actors are excellent, and the film.. is clever. Not conventional from the start - and so many twists! They took your standard story - and threw it out the window. You spend the entire film wondering who's chasing whom.. and even believing in ghosts. Not as much humour as their later films, but a truly interesting watch - highly recommended for anyone with an interest in the genre.

Tomorrow, I'm delighted to see that I finally get a chance to see Crossing! I saw the trailer for this ages ago and it looks fascinating - it was just never on at a time that suited. Well, tomorrow, it's showing at the ICA - Lordy, haven't been there in a while! Doesn't seem possible to book, there.

Monday is also film - back with The Hideout, who are off to see the extended cut of The Shining, in the BFI! Ah yes - sounds better than anything else I might have gone to that day, and anyway, it'll be lovely to be back with them again. I'll eat in Black & Blue again beforehand - don't much like the limited fare in the BFI. And as all that's happening a bit early, it's just as well it's a bank holiday!

On Tuesday, I'm off to see MJ The Musical! Well now, that should be an enjoyable nostalgia-fest.. I tell you though, I had terrible trouble with the official website! It was inconsistent in showing available seats, I tried several times to book but it didn't go through - I ended up having to pay a couple of quid more to book with TodayTix!

Then, two more Meetups in a row. On Wednesday, I'm back with London Literary Walks for a walk entitled Van Gogh, Harold Pinter, EM Forster. We're meeting in The Old Pack Horse. Now, they seem to have a Thai restaurant - but when I looked before, I couldn't see how to book! I've since managed it..

On Thursday, back with The Hideout! Goodness, they are providing lots of fun these days - they're off to the American Horror Film Festival, which turns out to be an evening of short horror films. I love short horror films! so even though, predictably, I'm not familiar with any of them - well, I just can't resist. This is in the Close-Up Cinema - pity it's so close to home for me, as I'll be in the office again that day! It's just off Brick Lane, so I've booked Cinnamon - another place I haven't been in ages! Must remember they're now BYOB.. and give a 20% discount for booking.. And then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storytelling: The Spanking Goddess

Play: Player Kings

Film: The First Omen