Walk: Tyburn Gallows & Film: How (Not) to Build a School in Haiti

Last Tuesday, I decided, was film, and what I came up with was Happy as Lazzaro (Lazzaro Felice), showing in the Garden Cinema. It was nearly sold out when I came to it, so I booked.

I might have b****y known. It happened the last time I booked an early evening showing in the Garden Cinema on a weekday, it happened again last Tuesday. The bus was delayed - far beyond its expected time. There wasn't a faster way to get there. Sweltering bus trip, I might add. Traffic was terrible - and I was late. So I cut my losses and stayed on the bus until it was closer to where I wanted to eat - in Seven Dials again. Where I was well fed - and it took them but five minutes after I ordered, from the table, to bring me a second glass of wine. Honestly though, I'll have to leave an hour earlier in future, to get to this cinema in time!

Yesterday, back with London Literary Walks (LLW) again - this was for Tyburn Gallows. Meeting at the Duke of Kendal, so I booked to eat there as well. Went by bus - and yes, was about 10 minutes late for my booking! It's a really bad time of the evening to travel - can't be helped though. 

No problem seating me - it wasn't busy. Now, I didn't really fancy anything on the main menu but fish n chips - and didn't really fancy that either. (I was to be glad I hadn't ordered it, when I saw a portion pass, and saw how huge it was!) It was too hot to be eating something so substantial. So I had two small plates - squid, and chicken goujons. Have to say, I wasn't overly impressed with either - the squid was a bit rubbery, the goujons' coating was burnt (although the chicken was ok). But hey, it sated my hunger.

I ordered another glass of wine, which came promptly - I thought it was just the weather for ice cream, and asked for a portion of that, too. I guess they had to defrost it or something - it took absolutely forever. Mind you, they were very short-staffed. Meantime, I'd posted where I was, in case anyone was around - and lo, someone arrived! And then our organiser arrived, and there was a large, empty seating area in the bar, so we all moved to there. I was trying to cancel my ice cream order, at the bar, when it finally came - so I had it in the bar. Best part of the meal, I have to say - and the conversation was interesting, as ever. Great group for meeting interesting people, this!

I decided to go to the loo, before we left - no, this wasn't it, happily:


Well, off we set - in no particular hurry. And right outside was an interesting tree:


We stayed here for a while, discussing - well, philosophies that, back in the day, might have gotten a person in such trouble as to warrant them ending up at Tyburn (or similar). We took a stroll down by Tyburn Convent:




It wasn't all about Tyburn - we also passed the smallest building in London! (bet I still couldn't afford it..)


Naturally, we came to the site of the Tyburn Tree:


The evening drew to a close at one of London's more interesting statues - I hadn't heard of him, but apparently Wallenberg was one of those who managed to save a lot of Jews from Nazi persecution:


The rear of this intriguing statue represents the fake passports with which he, a diplomat, provided people:



Another fascinating evening out with this group! Hope to meet some of them again.

Today, film again - this week is full of them - and I headed to a documentary in the Curzon Bloomsbury. This was How (Not) to Build a School in Haiti, and looked entertaining.. story of a (white) American guy who wanted to put his construction skills to use after the 2010 Haitian earthquake, and discovered it wasn't all that easy!

I was in the office - started the blog there, but honestly, had too much work to do much on it. At least I could walk to the cinema - and for the first time this week, it wasn't too hot to do that! even with my laptop. Arrived just in time, despite slightly losing my way (it's been a while) - and the cinema in general was packed; there must have been something on. Happily, they weren't all in my screen, and I had plenty of space to dump all my stuff.

Well - this turned out to be a rather frustrating film. Predictably, the project was beset by a leader who took backhanders, a generally lackadaisical attitude among workers who aren't required to do much in general, and shoddy workmanship, with the excuse that "they can't afford to do it any better". It is admirable to see how the American persisted, his philanthropic spirit undaunted, and demanded that the standards he imposed be followed.

Mind you, the film also makes the important point that Haiti really hasn't had a chance to be properly independent, and that the current, constant interference from NGOs always comes with strings attached, and is preventing the locals from getting on with forging their own society. The NGOs have their own agenda, and are now the main source of income in Haiti.. not a sustainable model! Well anyway, an interesting look into a society I, at least, knew little about. And yes, they did get the school built.

To GBK afterwards, first time in a while. I found the onion rings spicier than usual - perhaps that's why. Mercifully, got a shop in afterwards - our local Tesco is closed for renovations, and nowhere else around has the range! Anyway, wow, am I looking forward to a lie-in tomorrow.

Well, tomorrow is film again - so I waited until the film list was done (late last night) before finally plumping for one. But realistically, it was only ever going to be one - The Hideout is off to see A Quiet Place: Day One. This, starring Lupita Nyong'o, is the prequel, of course, to the excellent A Quiet Place, and purports to tell the story of how it all began. Co-written by John Krasinski, who directed, co-wrote, and starred in, the last one, this is more an action film - the trailer does look excellent. And it's in the Cineworld Imax - an excellent choice of venue! (I did have some trouble with the website when I was trying to book, though.) And hey, I love the group.. Dinner, of course, is booked in the terrific Bella Italia, nearby.

Saturday, back with CT for my first classical concert in an age - Bach Piano Concertos by Candlelight, in the church of St. Mary le Strand. And gee, eating in a different Bella Italia..!

Sunday, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for Your Lie in April, at the Harold Pinter. This musical is based on an apparently very popular manga - all tickets at £25, and annoyingly, it was after I booked that I found out that the seat fillers have it as well! Never mind. Booked the Angus Steakhouse for dinner, afterwards. Might actually have steak, this time.

On Monday, I'm back with CT again for Vox Anima at Cadogan Hall - time to try out Cote Sloane Square for the first time in ages!

On Tuesday, back with UITCS for Passing Strange, a rock musical at the Young Vic. So that's Bar + Block Southwark - the first of them I tried! and the best.

Wednesday is the company summer party - in The Lighterman. I guess it's heavily subscribed because, unusually, we've been asked not to come into the office that day if we can avoid it - if we're not coming to the party, or not coming from far. So, I'll come straight from home.

Next Thursday is film - and what's coming up is Horizon: An American Saga - Chapter 1, a Kevin Costner Western. Looks suitably epic - also stars Sienna Miller and Sam Worthington. Kevin Costner is also director and co-writer. Handily enough, it's showing in the Odeon Covent Garden - walking distance from the office, which I'll have to go into that day - and I can eat in Seven Dials again. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On the 8th, back with TAC for another talk at The Conduit - this one is History for Tomorrow, about what we can learn from history, and is, as usual, also the occasion of a book launch. Now, here I'd normally go to Bella Italia again - but I've discovered it's actually closer to Seven Dials! So I'll probably do that.

On the 9th, back - first time in a while - with Over 40 Living the Life, for a dinner in the Greenwich Yacht Club. They actually start back doing these this coming Tuesday, but of course I'm otherwise engaged.

And on the 10th, in Greenwich again - I should nearly stay the night! This time, I'm back with LLW for The Greenwich Walk. We're meeting in The Spanish Galleon, and as usual, I've booked to eat there beforehand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storytelling: The Spanking Goddess

Play: Player Kings

Film: The First Omen