Film: My Favourite Cake

Today was film again - My Favourite Cake, a comedy from Iran (and I love Iranian film) about an old widow who meets a taxi driver, invites him home, and they have an evening to remember.. Closest showing to me was in the Curzon Bloomsbury - the booking system was down again, as usual, but hopefully I shouldn't have a problem getting in.

I was in the office, for my sins - and hardly had any sleep last night, catching up on work! which proved completely unnecessary, as they weren't expecting it to be done, thank goodness. Anyway, I decided to go to the earlier film showing and eat afterwards - and I could walk from the office, so I did. Actually arrived a few minutes after the scheduled start time, but of course I knew there'd be ads. Still, the long queue to get a ticket was annoying. And lo, when I finally asked for one, it turned out there were only two left! Phew - I could have gone in the front row, or near the back - it's a small screen, as they all are here, so I decided the back would be fine.

The ads were on when I went in - and I made sure to take my correct seat, it being so full. Sure enough, as people arrived, there were several arguments about people having taken the wrong seats - never mind, it was all sorted by the time the film started. I'd also gotten a glass of wine, of course - they have my favourite here - and a tub of moreish honeycomb bites, to sustain me until I could eat, afterwards. The lady beside me had a laptop bag too, and we had great fun trying to squeeze everything into a convenient pile - we had no space to spread out, of course.

So - this is a typically sweet, character-driven, Iranian film. Both main characters are lonely - and she's a tough cookie, standing up to the morality police. She's delighted to have a man to fuss over - he's delighted to have a woman interested in him, for a change! The evening progresses very nicely - until it takes an unexpected turn.

I can't give any more away. But it is a lovely film - and with tonight's crowd, obviously word has got out! Recommended.

And so to GBK - where, for the first time, I had it suggested to me that I could order with the QR code! So I did - whereupon he got my order wrong, hah! I guess he got the table numbers mixed up. Anyway, I also see they no longer serve on plates - it's trays lined with paper. Fewer breakages, and/or less washing up, I guess. I had my usual burger - and was gratified to see that online ordering does allow you to leave out elements: in my case, tomato. They were out of onion rings - again - so I had fries: shouldn't really have bothered, I hardly ate any. Wasn't in the mood for them. The burger was lovely, though.

Shopped afterwards, and caught the bus before it got crowded, yay! And boy, am I looking forward to a sleep tonight..

Tomorrow, I was hardly going to miss a trip to see Smile 2 with The Hideout! I loved the original, was always interested in seeing this anyway.. we're seeing it in the Odeon West End. And I'm eating beforehand in Bella Italia - Cranbourn Street, not Irving Street, which is nearer, but booked up before I could get to it. Ooh, and I get a free starter because I reviewed my last trip to a branch of theirs! Must remember to use the voucher..

On Saturday, back with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpies - the walk is Old Street & Moorgate, around where I used to work.

On Sunday, back with the Crick Crack Club at the British Museum - this is for A Figure of Speech, by the excellent Daniel Morden.

The next two days are film, although they're not booking out, so I haven't booked.. on Monday, it's looking like The Outrun, finally, in which Saoirse Ronan plays the true story of a recovering alcoholic who returns to her native Orkney. It's been out long enough that, by now, showings are limited - but it is on that evening at Picturehouse Central.

And on Tuesday, it's looking like Carrie - yes, they're reshowing the restored original, directed by Brian de Palma, starring Sissy Spacek as the bullied girl with telekinetic powers. Based on the debut novel by Stephen King. And showing in the refined surrounds of The Garden Cinema, no less!

Then on Wednesday, I'm headed back to Ireland for a long weekend, it being my mother's birthday on the 24th. I fly back to London on the 27th - and on the 28th, I'm with The Horror Book Club (first time in an age) for an author talk at the Prince of Wales, their usual haunt.

On the 29th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats for A Raisin in the Sun, at the Lyric Hammersmith.

On the 30th, back with The Hideout (and their sister group, Movie Roadhouse) for the Darkness Falls social (I think that's a lovely name). At the BFI, as usual - I'm eating at The Archduke beforehand - and then they tacked on a trip to see Hallowe'en at the end of the night! I've seen it a million times - but hey, it's a classic, I can see it once more!

Hallowe'en itself is always an important night for me to plan - I had dreadful trouble this year finding something, though. Until.. who should ride to my rescue but the London Irish Centre, with a showing of the first Irish language horror film, An Taibhse (The Ghost)! So, that's a good starting point.. Eating beforehand in The Blues Kitchen Camden.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storytelling: The Spanking Goddess

Play: Player Kings

Film: The First Omen