Play: Visit from an Unknown Woman

Back in London (yay!), and back with Up in the Cheap Seats - this time, for an interesting-sounding play called Visit from an Unknown Woman, in Hampstead Theatre.

Wow, was I ready for food by the time I could find an excuse to wind up work - happily, my work was all done. Unfortunately, this is the hottest day, certainly that I've experienced, this year, and it WOULD be the day I had to take the Tube, bah. At rush hour. Happily, I got a seat around halfway - but it was with relief that I disembarked. Straight to Ye Olde Swiss Cottage, as usual here, where they rock a chicken schnitzel! Sat inside - it was cooler, and more comfortable; I'd been clammy all day, the last thing I wanted was to sunbathe while I ate. And yes, the schnitzel was smashing. Honestly though, the wine is better in the theatre, so I repaired there as soon as I'd finished.

Some of us had been upgraded! Some a bit further forward than others, but no harm..


This is the story of a musician, a lothario, with whom his underage neighbour falls in love, unrequitedly. That, and its repercussions, are basically it. So.. WHY are we instructed that he's Jewish, and that the government is therefore banning his works?! (He lives in Vienna.) Absolutely nothing to do with the plot - Chekhov must be turning in his grave. I'm sorry, that's kind of unforgiveable..

Like others tonight, I thought this would be political. Eh.. nope. It's watchable, it's elegantly portrayed - and ultimately.. meh. We're not given any reason to become invested in the story.. it becomes just another love story, one we've heard a million times before, with a minor twist (the roses that are delivered periodically). Sorry, heard it before. No reason to go to see this - the upgraded seats were not a surprise. Runs till the 27th of next month - if you have nothing better on.. Well, at least it was good to meet the group! And the Tube was quieter on the way home.

Tomorrow is film, and what I've come up with is Happy as Lazzaro (Lazzaro Felice), showing in the Garden Cinema. It was nearly sold out when I came to it, so I've booked.

On Wednesday, back with London Literary Walks again - this is for Tyburn Gallows. Meeting at the Duke of Kendal, so I've booked to eat there as well.

And on Thursday, film again - this week is full of them - and I'm headed to a documentary in the Curzon Bloomsbury. This is How (Not) to Build a School in Haiti, and looks entertaining.. story of a (white) American guy who wanted to put his construction skills to use after the 2010 Haitian earthquake, and discovered it wasn't all that easy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storytelling: The Spanking Goddess

Play: Player Kings

Film: The First Omen