Social

Yesterday was my monthly ex-co-workers' meeting, which I was really looking forward to; nobody could make last month. Martin mixed up his days and couldn't make it, but Ivan rescheduled his rehearsal, yay! And although James' mother is in hospital, he's visiting her today instead. Crikey, it isn't easy to organise these folks.. anyway, we were in the Blues Kitchen Shoreditch, one of my favourite venues. And I was so looking forward to a lie-in beforehand..

I was up late blogging, so it was hard to drag myself out of bed - but I managed, and was waiting for the bus at the time Google Maps suggested. The #47 would take me straight there, so that was what I was aiming for. Eh.. no mention of it on the bus stop display.. even though the Buses Due app, which is supposed to get its information from the same place, was also promising it'd be along soon! Alternatively, I could get the #381, and change at London Bridge - but even though those were coming, they were all finishing at Tower Bridge Road! Ah now, there was definitely something up.. when the second came, and was finishing there, I gave up on that stop and walked to Tower Bridge Road (suppose I could have taken the #381, but never mind..), where I immediately picked up a bus. Which still didn't go all the way - but I was running very late by now, and it would take me most of the way.

Well, it would - and it did - but not before sitting in awful traffic for a long time first! Mercifully, we were finally underway - and once we were the other side of Tower Bridge, the traffic.. evaporated! I had no further issues. Meanwhile, James was also running slightly late - but as I told him, he'd still be first there! As usual, we weren't expecting Ivan until later. Happily, James did get there in time to secure the table - although as he told me when I arrived, he had to insist that we had a booking - she couldn't find it at first, and had to "check on another system" before she'd let him have a table! In point of fact, there were empty tables anyway - but it tends to be better to book.


As usual, we knew not to wait for Ivan, but to go ahead and order - and we were well impressed with the food. The wine was interesting - I asked for a bottle, which was going to be all for me.. but they brought two glasses (as standard - some places insist on it). Nicely frosted, I must say. And lo, they poured wine into both. Well, I wasn't going to make a fuss - just later, quietly poured the second glass into mine. Funnily enough, afterwards - and until I was nearly finished the bottle - they kept pouring into that second glass, every time they passed and saw it empty.. and I kept pouring it into mine when they'd gone.. so that was fun..

We'd finished eating, and there was still no sign of Ivan. But what did happen was a band started up - loud, and to be honest, not very good! So we decided to move to The Astronomer. When I messaged Ivan to let him know, he said to go ahead, he hadn't left home yet.. TBH, I think he had trouble getting up; he did mention, later on, how tired he was - he's had a lot on. He suggested we meet at his local, and I would like to try it out one day - but it would have been a long way for James to travel, so we went with our first thought.

Ivan was worried we'd have trouble in a central pub, what with a football match on - but The Astronomer doesn't have a TV, so we were fine. And he did show up in due course, and ate.. and yes, it was great to catch up with them. As I say though, Ivan was tired - so we actually didn't stay very late. Happily, I had no bus issues on the way home - but I was tired myself! Completely conked out, and was wakened by my mother ringing, just after midnight.. so I decided against blogging..

Today, methinks I'll head to a film - the first of three in a row - and after eliminating a lot of dross, top of the list is the French remake of The Count of Monte Cristo! A nice, swashbuckling way to spend a few hours - and it is a long one. Closest showing is in Picturehouse Central, but they have a couple of showings that day, so I'll have a look-see what suits. And given that I went to bed so early, I think I'll head to the afternoon showing, for once!

For tomorrow, I had a ways to go down the list, there were so many only showing today - but I came to an interesting one; Robin Redbreast was part of an old TV series called Play for Today, and the BFI is showing this episode! Out of several at the same rating, this caught my eye, with its sinister, folk-horror theme.. so I booked, as it was already over half booked out. Eating at Black & Blue afterwards, because it's not a long one.

And on Tuesday, start of three Meetups in a row, I'm back with The Hideout! Well, I was hardly going to miss the last of the original Star Wars trilogy, Return of the Jedi - showing in the Prince Charles again. Of course, they're in conjunction with Movie Roadhouse London (MRL), as usual - the alternative choice is Blade. Meeting in the Clubhouse beforehand, as usual - and yay, my favourite restaurant had space! so I booked.

On Wednesday, London Literary Walks (LLW) is headed off on a walk entitled Cold War Russia. Meeting in The Champion beforehand, right across from the Russian Embassy - and they do food, but don't take bookings for just one person. So I'll have to wing it.

And on Thursday, The Hideout (and MRL) have their late summer social! Delighted the vote was for this day - it's the only one I can make. In the BFI Riverfront Bar (Balcony), as usual. I've booked Black & Blue again. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On the 16th, TAC is offering free tickets to a Baroque/classical mandolin concert at Cadogan Hall! They do ask for a donation to a cancer hospital of at least what you would have paid - apparently the concert is in aid of that - mind you, they don't say which hospital! I've booked for Cote Sloane Square beforehand - they, at least, fixed their service issues! Unlike the one at Hay's Galleria..

Then, three more Meetups in a row. On the 17th, I'm with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) at The Old Vic for The Real Thing, by Tom Stoppard. Eating beforehand in The Duke of Sussex - which does sell out, so it's better to book.

On the 18th, back with LLW for The Magic Toyshop. Meeting in The Alexandra, Clapham, which only does pizza - but I'll manage.

On the 19th, back with UITCS for a play called The Lightest Element, at Hampstead Theatre - and there's a terrific deal with Time Out!

On the 20th, I'm back with CT for the Backyard Comedy Club, first time in ages!

And on the 21st - yay, he's back! Laurence Summers is taking the 45+ Not Grumpies on a walk around Shoreditch & Spitalfields..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storytelling: The Spanking Goddess

Play: Player Kings

Film: The First Omen