MJ The Musical & Walk: Van Gogh, Harold Pinter, E. M. Forster

Last Tuesday, my only non-Meetup day for the rest of the week, I went to see MJ The Musical! Showing in the Prince Edward Theatre. Well now, that promised to be an enjoyable nostalgia-fest.. I tell you though, I had terrible trouble with the official website! It was inconsistent in showing available seats, I tried several times to book but it didn't go through - I ended up having to pay a couple of quid more to book with TodayTix!

Awful traffic meant I was later than anticipated heading in - I planned to eat in the nearby Nando's, but when I arrived, there was a queue! The person working at the door explained they'd just had a large order in, and were struggling to catch up. I didn't have much choice, right around there - so I gave the lady my name, and went to stand in the corner. Where I discovered - uh oh, no internet.. no WiFi, no phone signal. Now, that was all right while I waited - I'd picked up the paper - but did this mean I'd have to queue at the counter to order as well?

Bless, she got me seated five minutes earlier than promised. As I took my seat - right at the back - I asked her about the internet. This came as a complete shock to her.. but she reassured me that I could "just" order at the counter. Yeah.. that is what I had to do. At least there was already someone at the till, dealing with a family that had been queueing before me - so I got my drink straight away. The food was another matter - when the people at the table next to me, who'd been seated after me, got a main course before I did, I got miffed and went in search of someone. She went to check, and came back to tell me that they were only now cooking my garlic bread - it'd only be another 2-3 minutes.

And so it was - and it was all delicious. I had to wolf it down - at least I was a very short walk from the theatre. I nearly crashed into someone that looked like the manager on the way out - and so, ironically, it turned out that this was the first time in a long time that anyone in Nando's gave me a cheery farewell, as they are supposed to do, according to the app..!

As I made my way to the theatre, I noticed a long queue to the side - sure enough, it was the theatre queue. I joined the end - but it did move fast. And I just had time to run to the bar before the show started. I'd never been here before, would you believe - and it's gorgeously art-deco:


They only do medium glasses of wine.. which I took to my seat, in the rear Stalls:


And then the show started late, as they always do. The lady to my left gave off the vibe of a die-hard fan, in her t-shirt and leggings - a group arrived to my right a little late, ladies of a certain age, impeccably dressed: and lo, they were singing more than she did! So, I was in good company. Except, mind you, an announcement sternly informed us, before the start, that we were to save joining in for the finale.

On that night, a notice at the door proclaimed who was to be appearing - I'm afraid I paid little attention, not recognising the names. So I can't tell you for sure who was playing Michael Jackson that night. What I can tell you is that he channelled him - the voice, the singing, the moves.. he rightly got a round of applause the first time he performed the Moonwalk. I knew most of the songs, happily - but the most famous are left to near the end, and accompanied by incredible setpieces!

Also covered is his relationship with his family - his abusive father, his compliant mother, and brothers that tried to capitalise on his fame: probably at their father's behest. The musical follows his preparation for the Dangerous tour, his arguments with his staff about costs (especially for the special effects they think unnecessary), and his constant pill-popping. And we see this through the eyes of a film crew, making a documentary - when they're allowed access.

It is a fantastic nostalgia-fest - I've been humming his songs all week since! It especially helps that they're so true to the originals. The setpieces are jaw-dropping. And yes, they do let the audience stand for the last number. Yeah, if MJ is your thing, do go see.. currently seems to be booking till the 29th March, good availability for all shows from the 14th of October, at time of writing. Contains flashing lights. Naturally. Anyway, I was busily doing a film list, and didn't have time to blog that night.

Then, two more Meetups in a row. On Wednesday, I was back with London Literary Walks for a walk entitled Van Gogh, Harold Pinter, EM Forster. Different possible routes were floated - there was talk of us voting on it! We were meeting in The Old Pack Horse. Now, they have a Thai restaurant - but when I looked before, I couldn't see how to book! I later managed it..

Heading all the way to Chiswick, it had to be Tube - and the Jubilee Line was as unpleasant as ever. Not, perhaps, quite as crushed as last time, at least. Unfortunately, this time I was headed further west.. crucially, to past where the District Line diverges, one branch going to Ealing Broadway, one to Richmond. So the Richmond branch was no good to me - I needed Ealing Broadway. Except.. no trains to Ealing Broadway! Not seeing any advertised, I followed their suggestion and headed to the nerve centre of the District Line, Earl's Court - phew, they were advertising one. In a quarter of an hour.. in all, I was waiting half an hour for a train to Ealing Broadway. And when it finally came, of course it was packed..

I was half an hour late arriving at the pub - which you really couldn't miss, it's a real landmark building:


As I was ordering a drink - and a paltry packet of crisps, the height of what I could now eat before the walk started - at the bar, the guide arrived. We took a seat right outside what is apparently a completely separate restaurant area:


I kept seeing a man coming out with plates of food (sniff). Me, I had a second packet of crisps. And one of the attendees, when he arrived, kindly shared a couple of mini doughnuts with me. Meantime, the lighting fixtures here are rather eclectic:



We didn't have a huge attendance, for whatever reason - perhaps they fell foul of the District Line too. Anyway, we waited a reasonable time, and were off.


Three names in the walk title, and we were not to be disappointed. We stood near where Van Gogh was based in London - nothing there to look at now - and soon after, found the house that Harold Pinter used to live in:


Where we also met a couple of guys, on their way home with a little dog. One of them (not the dog) was the worse for drink, and, overhearing a snippet of our conversation, dove right in! It was a while before we could continue.. but it was conducted in good spirits.

And of course, we came to E. M. Forster. Whose former residence looked much more salubrious:


In Chiswick, even the phone boxes are artistic:


Nearby, an attractive, 19th century church:


And just past that, a gold postbox - originally painted for Olympic gold-medal-winner Pete Reed:


It still stands outside Chiswick Town Hall - the upper room can be hired for events, it seems:


We then found ourselves among the wallpaper manufacturers:




and at the most fascinating bookshop!


Hogarth lived here too, you know:


Anyway, it was around here that the walk ended - and lo, my eyes fell upon a Greene King pub! I was starving, of course, and here was my big chance.. they are known for their food. It was 9.45.. I bade farewell to my companions, who headed home, and I hastened inside. It's the Packhorse & Talbot, and I was delighted when the server I asked said the kitchen didn't close until 10! So I had one of their delicious steak & ale pies - and was mightily entertained by a gang who were in watching whatever football was on - at one point, a goal was scored, and one fellow, in his enthusiasm, not only fell off his stool, but took another couple of stools with him. Ah, a fun evening..

Happily, this is nearer to Turnham Green station, which is on both Ealing Broadway and Richmond lines, so I got home a lot faster. Still, I couldn't blog that night, had to be in the office yesterday, and up early. For ongoing details, see the next post - hopefully to be published shortly!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storytelling: The Spanking Goddess

Play: Player Kings

Film: The First Omen