Film: The Count of Monte Cristo (2024)

Today, I thought I'd head to a film - the first of three in a row - and after eliminating a lot of dross, top of the list was the French remake of The Count of Monte Cristo! A nice, swashbuckling way to spend a few hours - and it is a long one. Closest showing was in Picturehouse Central, but they had a couple of showings today, so I had a look-see what suited. And given that I went to bed so early, I decided to head to the afternoon showing, for once!

No problem with buses, mercifully, unlike yesterday, and I arrived in good time. Now, we had a huge thunderstorm last night, down my way - seems, according to the weather app, that they also had one today, in the centre! I could see evidence of it - the pavements were wet - but by the time I arrived, it was glorious sunshine.

Picked up a glass of wine and some chocolate, and headed up - all screens are upstairs. And was in time for all the ads, and trailers - for films I hadn't heard of, but there seem to be some good contenders. The seat I picked meant, handily, that no-one was inside me, so I didn't have to make way for anyone..

Oh my. By the time this finished, all I could think was - wow. You know, someone in the group on Friday gave this a strong recommendation - and she was dead right. I don't know when I last saw such a lavish, luscious, passionately filmed, beautiful film. Every scene is gorgeously framed, every actor's expression is laden with meaning. The lead actor, in the title role, in particular has the most intense gaze.. the woman he loves, upon meeting him years later, knows him by his eyes as well as his voice, although he's in disguise - I'm not surprised.

It's a cracking story, of course - and although this film changes minor elements, it stays true to the spirit of the story (which I'd forgotten anyway - it is convoluted). It's filmed in Malta, which looks suitably stunning.. and the period in which it's set, 1815-35, is made to look gorgeous. Of course, once the Count of Monte Cristo gains his fortune, the circles in which he moves are sumptuous. The clothes, the surroundings.. and the music. I was happy to stay to the very end of the credits, to hear Haydée's Song - Dorul (Dark Night) - again. Turns out it's in Romanian!

Stunning. Highly recommended. Richly deserves its high rating.

And so to dinner, and yes, I felt like the Angus, just down the road. Where service is outstanding, but the steak - while good - isn't a match for some other places. I tried the mushroom sauce this time, for once - very nice. And had some ice cream for dessert. Because I had time, for once! It's been a nice, relaxed weekend again..


For tomorrow, I had a ways to go down the list, there were so many only showing today - but I came to an interesting one; Robin Redbreast was part of an old TV series called Play for Today, and the BFI is showing this episode! Out of several at the same rating, this caught my eye, with its sinister, folk-horror theme.. so I booked, as it was already over half booked out. Eating at Black & Blue afterwards, because it's not a long one. Whoof, steak two days in a row.. theirs is better than the Angus, mind.

And on Tuesday, start of three Meetups in a row, I'm back with The Hideout! Well, I was hardly going to miss the last of the original Star Wars trilogy, Return of the Jedi - showing in the Prince Charles again. Of course, they're in conjunction with Movie Roadhouse London (MRL), as usual - the alternative choice is Blade. Meeting in the Clubhouse beforehand, as usual - and yay, my favourite restaurant had space! so I booked.

On Wednesday, London Literary Walks (LLW) is headed off on a walk entitled Cold War Russia. Meeting in The Champion beforehand, right across from the Russian Embassy - and they do food, but don't take bookings for just one person. So I'll have to wing it.

And on Thursday, The Hideout (and MRL) have their late summer social! Delighted the vote was for this day - it's the only one I can make. In the BFI Riverfront Bar (Balcony), as usual. I've booked Black & Blue again. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On the 16th, TAC is offering free tickets to a Baroque/classical mandolin concert at Cadogan Hall! They do ask for a donation to a cancer hospital of at least what you would have paid - apparently the concert is in aid of that - mind you, they don't say which hospital! Seeing a GOSH appeal during the ads today before the film, I assume it's them. I've booked for Cote Sloane Square beforehand - they, at least, fixed their service issues! Unlike the one at Hay's Galleria..

Then, three more Meetups in a row. On the 17th, I'm with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) at The Old Vic for The Real Thing, by Tom Stoppard. Eating beforehand in The Duke of Sussex - which does sell out, so it's better to book.

On the 18th, back with LLW for The Magic Toyshop. Meeting in The Alexandra, Clapham, which only does pizza - but I'll manage.

On the 19th, back with UITCS for a play called The Lightest Element, at Hampstead Theatre - and there's a terrific deal with Time Out!

On the 20th, I'm back with CT for the Backyard Comedy Club, first time in ages!

And on the 21st - yay, he's back! Laurence Summers is taking the 45+ Not Grumpies on a walk around Shoreditch & Spitalfields..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storytelling: The Spanking Goddess

Play: Player Kings

Film: The First Omen