Play: 23.5 Hours

After this week's film list was done, I decided what was on top wasn't as interesting as what Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) were going to, tonight - the play is called 23.5 hours, is showing in the Park (where I hadn't been in a while), and sounded good and suspenseful.There's a 30% discount with the code 235WB, apparently, although it wouldn't work for me.. no idea why, I made sure I wasn't mistyping it. Ah well.

Far enough again to be on the Tube - and I left a lot later than intended, what with the blog, and the weekly timesheet to fill.. I did OK for a seat, getting one after two stops and thereafter all the way. But oh wow - I had to change to the Victoria Line at Green Park. And both station and line were boiling - as was Finsbury Park when I got off! What on earth they're doing with the heating.. anyway, I had intended to eat beforehand, but of course that didn't happen. So I made do with a sandwich from M&S Food, eaten while sat on one of those ledges outside. And then mooched along to the theatre, where I had a packet of exceedingly spicy sweet chilli crisps, and some wine. And we occupied a large section of the upstairs bar, as more of the group arrived - tonight's was a large attendance. Lovely to see them, actually - again, it's been a while since I was last with this group!

We were scattered about the theatre - my seat was upstairs, with a nice, birds-eye view:


So, the action takes place in the well-appointed home of a middle-class, professional couple and their teenage son. The wife works in a hospital emergency department, the husband is a high-school teacher - and passionate about his job, about theatre, about books. They have a nice life.

And then the unthinkable happens - a 16-year-old student he's driven home accuses him of inappropriate behaviour. Next we hear about it, he's coming home after a two-year stint in prison. So, this play isn't about the trial, the rights and wrongs of the case, the defence or the prosecution - it's all about the fallout. How is he going to adjust to life outside, now that he obviously can't do his job anymore - the job that meant so much to him. How is his family going to adjust - you know people are going to say things, they're going to be targets. Are their friends going to stick by them? 

It's a well-written, beautifully acted play - and an exercise in ambiguity. We have no idea whether he's guilty - and as I say, ultimately it doesn't matter; he protests his innocence right to the end. It's up to others to decide whether, for them, he's guilty or innocent - and how they're going to react. And we do get pretty much the whole spectrum - from blind hatred to fear to denial to - his wife, who desperately wants to believe he's innocent.. but can't shake the niggling doubt that he might not be.

As I say, this isn't about his guilt or innocence - and it's not really about him at all: although, in the interesting Q+A afterwards with the writer and director, they did speak about the importance of making him likeable. It's much more about the people who have to make up their minds about him - and perhaps it's about what their words and actions say about them.

Anyway, this was the most interesting play I've seen in a good while - I thought it sounded good, and I was right! As people often say, the proof of a play is how much it gets people talking about it afterwards: and we certainly did our time in the bar after the show, where the discussion went down some dark routes. Another gem from the Park - runs till the 5th, highly recommended.

I could perhaps have gotten the bus home - but couldn't be bothered with the long journey; the Tube took long enough! (and was just as stifling on the way home). Tomorrow is my monthly ex-co-workers' meeting, which I'm really looking forward to; nobody could make last month. Martin mixed up his days and can't make it, but Ivan has rescheduled his rehearsal, yay! And although James' mother is in hospital, he's visiting her on Sunday instead. Crikey, it isn't easy to organise these folks.. anyway, we're in the Blues Kitchen Shoreditch, one of my favourite venues. And I am so looking forward to a lie-in beforehand..

Sunday, methinks I'll head to a film - the first of three in a row - and after eliminating a lot of dross, top of the list is the French remake of The Count of Monte Cristo! A nice, swashbuckling way to spend a few hours - and it is a long one. Closest showing is in Picturehouse Central, but they have a couple of showings that day, so I'll have a look-see what suits. Which, to be honest, will probably be the evening showing.

For Monday, I had a ways to go down the list, there were so many only showing on Sunday - but I came to an interesting one; Robin Redbreast was part of an old TV series called Play for Today, and the BFI is showing this episode! Out of several at the same rating, this caught my eye, with its sinister, folk-horror theme.. so I booked, as it was already over half booked out. Eating at Black & Blue afterwards, because it's not a long one.

And on Tuesday, start of three Meetups in a row, I'm back with The Hideout! Well, I was hardly going to miss the last of the original Star Wars trilogy, Return of the Jedi - showing in the Prince Charles again. Of course, they're in conjunction with Movie Roadhouse London (MRL), as usual - the alternative choice is Blade. Meeting in the Clubhouse beforehand, as usual - and yay, my favourite restaurant had space! so I booked.

On Wednesday, London Literary Walks (LLW) is headed off on a walk entitled Cold War Russia. Meeting in The Champion beforehand, right across from the Russian Embassy - and they do food, but don't take bookings for just one person. So I'll have to wing it.

And on Thursday, The Hideout (and MRL) have their late summer social! Delighted the vote was for this day - it's the only one I can make. In the BFI Riverfront Bar (Balcony), as usual. I've booked Black & Blue again. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On the 16th, TAC is offering free tickets to a Baroque/classical mandolin concert at Cadogan Hall! They do ask for a donation to a cancer hospital of at least what you would have paid - apparently the concert is in aid of that - mind you, they don't say which hospital! I've booked for Cote Sloane Square beforehand - they, at least, fixed their service issues! Unlike the one at Hay's Galleria..

Then, three more Meetups in a row. On the 17th, I'm with UITCS at The Old Vic for The Real Thing, by Tom Stoppard. Eating beforehand in The Duke of Sussex - which does sell out, so it's better to book.

On the 18th, back with LLW for The Magic Toyshop. Meeting in The Alexandra, Clapham, which only does pizza - but I'll manage.

On the 19th, back with UITCS for a play called The Lightest Element, at Hampstead Theatre - and there's a terrific deal with Time Out!

On the 20th, I'm back with CT for the Backyard Comedy Club, first time in ages!

And on the 21st - yay, he's back! Laurence Summers is taking the 45+ Not Grumpies on a walk around Shoreditch & Spitalfields..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storytelling: The Spanking Goddess

Play: Player Kings

Film: The First Omen