April Social

Last night, I was at The Hideout's April social! The BFI Riverfront Bar again.. I should have gone into the office, but honestly, there was no compelling reason for me to do so, and yay! the difficult doc I was working on got passed incredibly easily! So I now have little to do - which would be a nightmare in the office, having to pretend to work, or find work for myself. So I sensibly stayed at home. Booked for dinner beforehand in Azzuro, fancying Italian - the Riverfront does food, but just snacks, really.

You can only book at 15-minute intervals - I figured that leaving at around 5 would get me there, by bus, for 5.45 but not for 5.30. I booked for 5.45, arrived about 10 minutes early. They seated me without problem - unusually, they write down their bookings! I had a choice of the table in the dark corner (!) or one at the sofa, with people on either side. I wasn't entirely sure I could see, in that corner, so I went for the sofa.

Had garlic bread to start - after my previous experience with toppings, I had it plain, and it was very nice. For main, I thought I'd try the chicken Milanese, to compare it with the gorgeous one I always have at Bella Italia. Not one I'd bother with again - the chicken was well cooked, but a lot thicker than Bella Italia's, and with no sauce to pour over, although I was offered black pepper, which I passed on. The accompanying potatoes were nice, but the chicken was a little chewy, being so thick, and required a lot of eating. With time to spare - service was very quick - I had a gorgeous lemon sorbet for dessert; unfortunately, it seemed to react badly with the wine, and I burped my way to the meeting..

I was slightly late for the official start, but seemed to be the first there, apart from the organiser! Popped downstairs for a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc - the upstairs bar was staffed in general, but there was nobody there at that moment. Our group was one of the smaller ones we've had, but hey, that's a good thing, as we got to speak to a higher percentage of them! And as usual, the chat was lively - with plenty of opportunities to talk horror, which I always enjoy.. perhaps a bit too much talk about Dune.. We left when they booted us out, a bit after 10. Hey-ho, roll on the next - I always enjoy these, they're friendly folks. And as usual after a lot of drinking, I was too tired to blog last night..

Tonight, taking a break from Meetup - I'm going to a talk, interesting-sounding to me, at Southwark Cathedral. It's The King's Assassin, about the relationship between James VI/I and George Villiers, now a TV series, Mary & George, with Julianne Moore as his scheming mother. Based on a book, whose author is giving this talk - tickets from Eventbrite. Also walking distance from me. I've booked Bill's for dinner - let's hope the service is decent, as it isn't always..

Tomorrow, I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again. Film-wise, I'm seeing That They May Face the Rising Sun, based on the last book, of the same name, by John McGahern, set in rural Ireland in the 80s. Yes, showing in the Omniplex, now that they've finally declared their listings..

The next two days in London, I'm ticking theatrical boxes - both in Delfont Mackintosh theatres, and both, would you believe, cheapest from the official source! On Monday, I'm finally getting to see Player Kings, depicting the relationship between Falstaff and Hal from both parts of Shakepeare's Henry IV, with Sir Ian McKellan as Falstaff. Looking forward to it - I love Shakespeare adaptations. That's in the Noel Coward Theatre, and I'm paying a little extra not to sit in the slips, so I get more legroom.

On Tuesday, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats to see Opening Night, a musical with music by Rufus Wainwright. Before it closes! That's at the Gielgud. Mind you, I'm beginning to hear bad reports..

On Wednesday, back with The London Horror Book Club - they're doing a book I think I'll like - well, I certainly was interested in the free sample, so I bought it. It's The Fifth Child, about a couple living in domestic bliss, having four children, and all is sweetness and light.. until the fifth arrives.. This will be in The Prince of Wales, Drury Lane again. A few months since I was last with them. I have started the book.. just need to find the time to finish it!

And next Thursday, back with London Classical Music and Theatre Group, for the opera Lucia di Lammermoor in the Royal Opera House.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storytelling: The Spanking Goddess

Film: It Lives Inside

Concert: U2 #4 & Films: Past Lives, Moonlight, Spielberg, The Great Escaper, Calendar Girls, & The Turning