Film: Crossing

Today, I was delighted finally to get a chance to see Crossing! I saw the trailer for this ages ago and it looked fascinating - it was just never on at a time that suited. Well, today, it was showing at the ICA - Lordy, I hadn't been there in a while! Dunno why I couldn't figure out how to book - when I checked on my phone, there was no problem! Well, all's well that ends well.

Got off at Charing Cross and walked the last bit - the Mall is actually closed to motorised traffic at the moment (has been for ages), which is lovely for pedestrians! Just have to navigate the cyclists, who seem a bit more considerate with no motor vehicles around:



I made the Institute in good time - checked out the bar I'm familiar with, only to discover it wasn't open yet! No, we were directed back to the "foyer bar" - I think that was a gift shop of some kind when I was last here. Anyway, I had a glass of wine - they only do small or medium, which under the circumstances was just as well; it was the most awful pigswill. I did finish it, but wasn't tempted to have another. Spent a considerable time wandering through the books that are still displayed in the foyer. I'm so used to spotting interesting titles here, then ordering them cheaper on Amazon.. not today, though.

As for opening times - unlike other cinemas, that advertise "no ads", then show you a long list of trailers, this place really doesn't have any ads. Now, they don't even open the screen doors until the scheduled start time - but you have to keep an eye on them; certainly, today they didn't announce it, just opened the doors nice and quietly and let anyone in who had a ticket. And the preamble to the film - the logos of the various companies involved - had already started by the time I noticed and made my way in. Seating is unassigned, but was tricky in the dark.. still, it wasn't that full, so I managed fine.

As I say, this trailer looked interesting to me - and at Thursday's social, I was talking to someone who raved about the film. I have to say, all expectations were met and exceeded. It's really the most beautiful, loveliest film - not in terms of cinematography really, however. In particular, I was surprised - rather pleasantly - not to see touristy shots of Istanbul, where most of the film is set. I know there are beautiful views - I've been there - but this concentrated on the shabby neighbourhoods and backstreets frequented by the characters. Nor do we see any Turkish scenery on the long bus ride there.

The story concerns a Georgian woman - of a certain age, a retired teacher - whose sister has just died, and whose dying wish was for this lady to track down the dying woman's transsexual daughter. All she knows is that her niece lived in a certain part of their small town with other trans people - at the start of the film, she finds out that her niece has moved to Istanbul. A young lad seizes the opportunity to escape his small-town life, telling her he has her niece's address, and that he can act as her interpreter in Turkish and English. In return, she pays his expenses - win-win, as he says!

However, the film as a whole isn't as much about their search as it is about the trans community in Istanbul. Told at a very human level, we get to meet lots of trans characters, are invited into their homes. In particular, we follow the story of one, a lawyer with an entertaining love life! In all, it paints a warm and affectionate picture.. very sensitively done, and beautifully acted. Highly recommended - and not just because the place is overrun with cats. And I'm mad about cats..

Ate afterwards - and I decided to head for L' Ulivo on Villiers Street. They weren't taking bookings, it seemed - but I moseyed along and peeked in, and they were practically empty! So I got a table straight away.

I had high hopes that the service had improved, they were so quick to take my order - and the moment I was finished with anything on the table, it was whisked away. Anyway, I ordered garlic bread to start, and chicken boscaiola (in a mushroom and white wine sauce) - which doesn't come with anything else, so I ordered roast potatoes. And the house white wine, which is the only one that comes in a carafe.

Oh Lordy, I did not have a good wine day - I must remember never to get the house white here again! At least it was better than at the ICA - which wouldn't be hard. And again, I finished it - but I'm sure I could have had better. The rest of the meal was, I have to say, rather spectacular - garlic bread, delicious. Chicken, scrumptious. Sauce, gorgeous - but I was glad of the potatoes, to provide a mild contrast; the sauce was very rich. Oh, I was floating in deliciousness by the time I finished.

Having nothing else pressing to do with my evening, I thought I'd have a dessert - and here was when the staff reverted to their old, dawdling ways. I asked the guy who cleared my glass to pass me the dessert menu. 10 minutes later, I finally managed to catch someone else's eye and ask her for it - when she heard how long I'd been waiting, she apologised - I refrained from remarking that it's par for the course, here. I got the menu - and ooh, they do tartufo! But now I was torn - the pistachio, or the lemon (with limoncello in it)..? I plumped for the lemon tartufo - and wow, was it worth the wait. The gelato was actually infused with limoncello - it was amazing. I have a new favourite dessert..

Of course, I had another 10-minute wait between getting the bill and getting the payment machine. For which that waiter also apologised. Really, if they were a bit more on the ball, they wouldn't have to apologise all the time! But seriously, the food was incredible - well worth a visit. If you have time. And don't have the house white..

Tomorrow is my third day of film in a row - back with The Hideout, who are off to see the extended cut of The Shining, in the BFI! Ah yes - sounds better than anything else I might have gone to that day, and anyway, it'll be lovely to be back with them again. I'll eat in Black & Blue again beforehand - don't much like the limited fare in the BFI. And as all that's happening a bit early, it's just as well it's a bank holiday!

On Tuesday, I'm off to see MJ The Musical! Well now, that should be an enjoyable nostalgia-fest.. I tell you though, I had terrible trouble with the official website! It was inconsistent in showing available seats, I tried several times to book but it didn't go through - I ended up having to pay a couple of quid more to book with TodayTix!

Then, two more Meetups in a row. On Wednesday, I'm back with London Literary Walks for a walk entitled Van Gogh, Harold Pinter, EM Forster. Different possible routes have been floated - there's talk of us voting on it! We're meeting in The Old Pack Horse. Now, they seem to have a Thai restaurant - but when I looked before, I couldn't see how to book! I've since managed it..

On Thursday, back with The Hideout! Goodness, they are providing lots of fun these days - they're off to the American Horror Film Festival, which turns out to be an evening of short horror films. I love short horror films! so even though, predictably, I'm not familiar with any of them - well, I just can't resist. This is in the Close-Up Cinema - pity it's so close to home for me, as I'll be in the office again that day! It's just off Brick Lane, so I've booked Cinnamon - another place I haven't been in ages! Must remember they're now BYOB.. and give a 20% discount for booking.. 

And then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again. And Saturday is National Cinema Day, with all Omniplex tickets €5.. watch this space..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storytelling: The Spanking Goddess

Play: Player Kings

Film: The First Omen