Play: Murder Trial Tonight 2

Last night, I went to Murder Trial Tonight 2, at Sadler's Wells. As inspired by Over 40 Living the Life, who had tickets of their own, for which they were charging more.. just like the night before, when I ended up sitting right beside them! I did hope not to have something similar happen last night..

Dinner at The Wilmington again - my sometime companion from Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS), reading the blog, fancied going to this show but didn't think she could make it in time for food, so I didn't book for her. In the end, I was just approaching the pub when she messaged to ask where it was, because she was earlier than anticipated. I gave her the address, went in, and went ahead with ordering food - after all, I couldn't be sure when she'd arrive.

As before, service was faultless - this time, I decided to forego the onglet, and try the fish n chips. Hmm.. it was a bit greasy. Interestingly, it was accompanied by both tartare sauce and curry sauce.. It was fine, but I don't think I'd have it again - it repeated on me all evening. I'll stick to steak here in future. The wine, as before, was excellent.. Anyway, I was nearly finished when my companion arrived. She had wine, and not having time for a main course - and not fancying the starters - she accepted the offer of a bowl of olives (£4.50).

We delayed a bit - and they were in no hurry with the bill - so it was a hasty trot up the road to the theatre. We took the luxury of the lift, and just made it in time - we were at opposite sides of the level, she in the slips, further down: me in my lofty and splendid isolation, towards the back:


First time I've been here for something other than dance! This is actually a play - with film projected on the rear wall - based on real events (details changed), and depicting the trial of a young woman, married to a much older, and rich, man, who is accused of his murder. For the first half, you hear the opening statements and the case for the prosecution - for the second half, the defence case and the closing statements. The audience is the jury..

I was mithered, for most of the first half, by someone a few rows behind me, making an awful din, rustling her popcorn packet and munching loudly on the contents! I actually could hardly hear what was going on - she seemed completely oblivious. So I was delighted when my companion messaged me to ask whether I wanted to move down, after the interval - said there were lots of empty seats near her! I got a drink at the bar - Pinot Grigio, given the price of the Sauvignon Blanc - went to get my coat, and we both moved to the central section, near her side. Nice - a much closer view, and £39 seats, when we'd both paid £20.. ;-) Even at that, mind, we couldn't read the texts displayed on screen - but never fear, they read them out for your benefit.

At the interval, you scan the QR code, displayed on the rear screen, to register on the theatre company website - and at the end, the next QR code to vote (Guilty or not). They give it a few minutes, then read the verdict - with an audience member brought onstage as the spokesperson! (They're given a piece of paper with what to say.) Last night, our audience voted 63% Not Guilty, 37% Guilty.. to lots of cheering, and the defendant raising her fists in triumph! Finally, the screen at the back shows what really happened, and gives some details of the real-life case.

Everyone loves a murder mystery. Everyone loves getting to decide for themselves.. all you need is an internet connection. (They have two WiFi networks, one for the theatre and one for the production, but I could get neither to work - happily, I got regular phone signal.) We all loved it.. just as well we hadn't anything booked for after though, it did run on a bit. End times are approximate. But yes, highly recommended for fans of murder mysteries! Also on tonight, with "fair availability", as it says.. Oh, and I never did see that other group, last night - well, it's a much bigger theatre.

After a long week, I was too tired to blog last night. This evening, I'm headed to American Fiction! I've seen the trailer a few times, and it looks excellent - a comedy in which an intelligent, well-educated black author realises that he can increase his sales by "ghetto-ising" himself, as that's what white audiences expect from black writers! Showing in my closest cinema. Not that the main listings site had any mention of it being in any Curzon, of course, when I looked.. but I do know to check them separately. Along with several others! Again, I'll head to the Cote on St. Katharine Dock for food.

Tomorrow, ending a Meetup drought with Discover London - History Walks and Events (DL), for a walk entitled Discover the Secrets of the Riverside Part 2: Cannon Street to Blackfriars. One of those groups that never get listed when I do a general search for a particular day.. I just have to remember to search the group individually. When it's a weekend I'm in London, anyway! They're always good. Crikey though, it's over a year since I did Part 1..

On Monday and Tuesday - yep, a small Meetup drought again - I'm with CT again. Improv both nights - Monday is for Shake It Up - The Improvised Shakespeare Show! It's at the Hen & Chickens - must dig out my membership card, given out automatically at every show there, and good for a year. After all, I was there for horror films at Hallowe'en.

Tuesday, I'm at Stage Time - an Improv Variety Show at Shoreditch Balls. Tickets generally available through Eventbrite.

Two nights with Meetup then - on Wednesday, I'm back, for the first time in most of a year, with The Horror Book Club! They always either clashed with something else, or were reading something I didn't fancy, you see.. well, I couldn't avoid this one, where they're reading Ramsey Campbell. I don't like everything he's written - but he was responsible for my favourite horror book ever, Incarnate. And I see he's still writing - the book they're covering on Wednesday is The Lonely Lands, written just last year! I just bought the Kindle edition - and couldn't resist reading the first chapter, which consists of just one sentence:

"When he heard his wife say 'I'm not alone' he thought at first she meant to reassure him."

Ooh, I cannot wait to get into the rest of it - thanks, book club, for reintroducing me! As usual, they're meeting in the Prince of Wales, Covent Garden - and I can eat there.

On Thursday, I'm with UITCS - another group that never appears in the general Meetup listings, despite being one of the busiest - for Northanger Abbey, in the Orange Tree Theatre. Another place I haven't been in nearly a year..

Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend. On the 12th and 13th, back with CT for the Bitesize Festival at Riverside Studios - on the 12th, it's for Second Temple, a Jewish comedy.

On the 13th, it's for All the Men Are Going to Hate Me, another comedy, about a woman trying to write the century's great (female) novel!

Then I have five (!) days of Meetup: the next three with UITCS. On the 14th, we're at When You Pass Over My Tomb, at the Arcola. A "story of love and lust beyond the grave", as described, it sounds like an interesting way to spend Valentine's Day.

On the 15th, we're at Double Feature, at Hampstead Theatre.

And on the 16th, we're at Hir, a transgender comedy at Park Theatre. My companion of last night is coming to that as well.

On the 17th, I'm back (whee! at last!) with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners.. I've been persuaded to redo his Dickens walk. Well, it's months since I was on one of his - and he now only does one Saturday a month, says there's no real demand! And since I can no longer go on the midweek ones, in general.. well.. it'll be great to be back with them anyway.

And on the 18th, back with DL - it was a while before I thought to check that website to see whether there was another walk, and there is, that day! So we're off to Discover London's Oldest Market and Original "High Street"..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storytelling: The Spanking Goddess

Play: Player Kings

Film: The First Omen