Dance: Edward Scissorhands

Tonight - Wednesdays seem to be becoming my Meetup days - I was back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for the Matthew Bourne production of Edward Scissorhands, at Sadler's Wells. Love Matthew Bourne - but by the time I got around to booking this, it was nearly sold out! so, for once, I was in the First Circle - a level lower than normal. Which I figured should be just fine..

Nearest place I could see, nearby, to eat was The Wilmington - which was a bit of a walk from the theatre, but not excessive. I didn't dare book for 5.45pm, which I have never been able to make on time yet - I booked for 6, and in the end, got there at 5.40! Didn't matter, they had a table booked for me - and oh, what a relief to get in from the cold! Their menu is short - I ordered wine, and when she came with it, I had already decided to have steak. I couldn't see the Specials board from where I was - she checked what was on, and I chose the 8oz. An onglet, which I'd never had before.. comes with pepper sauce and chips.

Well now, it's a while since I had a steak that arrived doused in sauce - I mean, she did describe the sauce as a "side"! Never mind, I wasn't too put out - some people would be. It was pre-cut, I hardly had to do anything but chew. And ooh, it was buttery melt-in-the-mouth tender! Yum - I was exceedingly well fed. The chips did come on the side - in a little pot - and were pre-salted. All very lovely - again, as I sighed when the waiter asked - I didn't have time for dessert.. but I know where to come for a good steak. And, I might add, even had I had a second glass of wine, it'd have worked out £20 cheaper than Leo's..!

And so to the theatre, and all the way up to the Second Circle Bar to meet the others. I had a lovely glass of Pinot Grigio (I baulked at paying £14 for a Sauvignon Blanc) as we caught up - it was the first time I'd seen anyone from this group since Christmas. When it came time, down I went again to take my seat:


So, I was right at the end of the first row directly facing the stage. As you can see, the main restriction to the view is the set of Slips seats to the side - which provided a minor hassle. Happily, they were unoccupied for the first half, for some reason.. 

Ah now, I thought this was just beautiful. With the gentle music of the film as accompaniment, they've recreated the same touching story of the boy with scissors for hands, just trying to fit into what is, here, a typical 50s suburban American society. Matthew Bourne's choreography always tells its own story, and do keep an eye out for the action in the background - there's always an element of comedy! The Christmas party in the second half is a highlight, with the gorgeous costumes - and oh, it snows!! (In the Stalls, too. If you're seated there, you might want to bring an umbrella.) I'm always going to recommend Matthew Bourne, and the same is true here. Runs till a week on Saturday - very highly recommended. Hurry though, I believe it's selling fast..

Tomorrow, back with the Backyard Comedy Club - tickets from CT again. And I'm in the office - that poor laptop is coming to a lot of comedy!

Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend. Film for Saturday is The Boys in the Boat, the story of a Depression-era rowing team, competing in the Berlin Olympics of 1936. (Isn't it funny how many films are being made about the time around the Second World War right now?) I've booked for the Omniplex.

On Monday, finally getting to see the RSC production of Hamnet, the story of Shakespeare's short-lived son. Playing at the Garrick.

On Tuesday, seeing Rock 'n' Roll by Tom Stoppard, at Hampstead Theatre.

Next Wednesday - yes, back with Meetup! This time, it's the New Year Social co-hosted by the London Movie Club (LMC), the Hideout, and London Hot 100! all of which are run by the same people. I've just booked with the LMC myself, which was the first to advertise it. Back at the BFI.

On the 18th, Helen is in town - and suggested we have dinner, and head to the Canary Wharf Winter Lights! Excellent idea - I was thinking of seeing them, but didn't have a specific date in mind. Must try not to be in the office that day - I hate the idea of lugging a laptop around! We're heading to Amerigo Vespucci for food..

On the 19th, back with CT - for a show called The Gods, The Gods, The Gods, at Underbelly Boulevard. New venue, it seems!

The 20th is when I'm trying to catch up with all those ex-colleagues.. still waiting on word of whether Ivan can move his rehearsal from that day.. he says he's "working on it".


On the 22nd, back with North London Friends for the first time in ages! Saw a couple of them there tonight, actually. They had one remaining ticket for Cold War, at the Almeida - otherwise completely sold out! So I bit the bullet and bought theirs - albeit above my normal price range, including a Paypal fee, and with a Meetup fee on top.. it was that or not see it at all! It'll be good to see them again, too..

On the 23rd, back with UITCS for Blood on Your Hands, at Southwark Playhouse - for which I used the second of my theatre vouchers, bought under their Pay as you Go scheme, where you get them at a discount.

And on the 24th, another CT ticket - this is for The Gorgeous Diva & Katie Norris Double Bill, at the Pen Theatre. Somewhere else I've never been, hmm..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storytelling: The Spanking Goddess

Play: Player Kings

Film: The First Omen