Storytelling: Woyengi and the Medicine Woman

Today, back at last at the British Museum with the Crick Crack Club (CCC)! This one was Woyengi and the Medicine Woman, by Jan Blake. Man, I've missed these.. it's nearly a year since I was last there!

What a shame it had to coincide with the London Marathon. What a shame I had to be here at all on the same weekend.. what a shame I have to live so close to the route. I could hear the cheering all morning - couldn't figure out what it was for a minute. Must have been coming from the bridge, half a mile away.. TFL said the buses would be diverted until 3, and it certainly sounded as though I was out of luck, wanting to catch one from home. So, Tube it was, and I set out for London Bridge.



For sure, no buses getting through these streets. I couldn't figure out whether most of the people were following the runners, or just having to walk for the Tube, as I was, what with no buses! (Saw one runner being stretchered off, wrapped in one of those reflective blankets.) Predictably, London Bridge was mobbed as well - and wouldn't you know it, of course my card started giving trouble as I finally got to the barrier. I had to let the person behind me through - mine worked after that. Technology..!

I managed to squeeze onto the first Jubilee Line train by the smart - as it turned out - strategy of stopping at the door that had hardly any people waiting at it. Even though it was to the middle, there were enough people getting off, and few enough getting on before me, that I just managed it - and we rode like sardines to Waterloo. On the long trek to the Northern Line, we passed some runners who'd finished, and had reflective blankets on - they got a cheer. On the platform, waiting for the Northern Line (for a very long time), I was in serious danger of being bopped on the head by the pineapple (!) balloon carried by the woman standing in front of me.. Happily, the Northern Line was a lot less busy. I even got a seat. The runners on the train, displaying finishers' medals, didn't get a cheer..

Tottenham Court Road was also a lot less busy than ether of the other stations had been, although I still thought it wise to exit by the nearest door. I noticed that most of Tottenham Court Road itself was also closed! Chaos all round.. anyway, it was about 2.15 by the time I made it to the museum - the event was to start at 2.30 (although they always run late). Was I glad I had a ticket.. actually, I think this might have sold out anyway. But today, at least, they were restricting the main entrance to people who had tickets, either event tickets or timed entry tickets. Everyone else had to go round the back! Unfortunately, of course I picked the wrong queue - I had to get the meticulous one. Who, shortly before I got to her, had confiscated a bottle of whiskey from a couple of girls. Who brings a (nearly) full bottle of whiskey to a museum?!

Made the event with minutes to spare - thank goodness I left early; it had taken half an hour longer, by Tube, than Google Maps had predicted it'd take by bus! Over an hour, in fact. And in I went. Interestingly, I got a slight shock just before I left home , with the CCC Facebook event sending me a reminder, saying it was starting at 1.30 - which, of course, I knew it wasn't; they always start at 2.30, and that's what it said on the CCC website, and also on my ticket. It's just, on the Facebook page, they have advertised it as 2.30 CEST.. you have been warned. Anyway, a lady just before me was asking whether she could buy a ticket on the spot - they were making unencouraging noises.. So, even though I could see some empty seats in there, I figure it was probably just people who had trouble getting there. Like me!


The lady on the stairs was urging us to budge up as much as possible, to make space - which I did, although I had to push past her to get to the front; she didn't seem to think there was anything left there, although I could see plenty. Jan was joined for this by a musician, and so we had the most gorgeous drumming throughout, as well as a singing bowl.. mmm, soul food. The event was, as usual, introduced by Ben Haggarty

And Jan had us interacting, mostly ululating, for this Nigerian story, of Woyengi, the creation goddess, who created a medicine woman, who had, upon creation, chosen that path instead of the path of motherhood, then changed her mind. As usual, she was captivating, spellbinding, funny.. TWICE she had to scold people whose phones went off during the performance. But it was another lovely, relaxing Sunday afternoon in the cosy confines of the British Museum.. hope they schedule another I can make..

Only about an hour long, and my tummy had grumbled throughout, so afterwards I went in search of food. Sadly, everywhere decent on Museum Street was full.. I checked Google Maps, and discovered another Italian (it's a great area for them), a block over. Il Castelletto is a little out of the way, and had plenty of space! I had garlic bread to start, followed by saltimbocca alla romana, and a carafe of pinot grigio. Service was mainly by a cheeky chappie, who was never that far away, in what is quite a small space.

The garlic bread, despite its charred appearance, was lovely and soft - not a terrific flavour, but I was starving, and it filled a spot. The saltimbocca.. oh my. They have a number of veal dishes with different accompaniments - I chose this for the marsala sauce. And wow, was it gorgeous! including the ham served with it, which introduced a degree of saltiness. Served with roast potatoes.. he congratulated me for clearing my plate. I had chocolate cake for dessert - no fruit here, mercifully, it was drizzled with chocolate sauce, so tasty, as well as being lovely and light. Truly, go seek this place out.. you won't regret it, and it gets a lot less footfall than the places on Museum Street.

Well, the journey home was worse than the outbound one - I figured I could get the bus now, so hopped on one that should have taken me straight there. The trouble started when we switched drivers in Waterloo.. the outgoing driver warned the oncoming one about diversions. He was confused, and asked her where - she tried to tell him, but he didn't seem to be getting it, so she just told him to follow the signs.

Hmph. When we were nearly to my home, he turned off, flashing the "diversion" warning, but with no explanation. I figured we couldn't be headed too far off route - boy, was I wrong. We drove further and further away from where I needed to be - finally, after he'd driven twice around a roundabout because he'd missed the turning, I got off the next time he stopped. A guy at the stop asked him whether Jamaica Road was still closed - he didn't know. As I said to the guy, the driver was completely lost - the guy I was talking to mused that they were supposed to get diversion maps, but well..

It was a half-hour walk home from there, for me, the sun in my eyes the whole way. And to add insult to injury, I needed stuff from Tesco, which was closed, and nowhere that was open had what I needed. Oh, give me patience.. oh, and there were buses passing me the whole way back, which I could have taken if the timing had been right.. I've complained to TFL, for all the good it'll do, about their lack of coordination..

Tomorrow, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for Boys on the Verge of Tears, at Soho Theatre. Again, ages since I was last there!

On Tuesday, another dinner at Greenwich Yacht Club with Over 40 Living the Life. Third Tuesday in a row - but the last time for a while they'll be doing it.

On Wednesday, I'm at The Hideout's April social! The BFI Riverfront Bar again..

On Thursday, taking a break from Meetup - I'm going to a talk, interesting-sounding to me, at Southwark Cathedral. It's The King's Assassin, about the relationship between James VI/I and George Villiers, now a TV series, Mary & George, with Julianne Moore as his scheming mother. Based on a book, whose author is giving this talk. And as that's also walking distance from me, I'll look to go to the office on Wednesday. Maybe. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

The next two days in London, I'm ticking theatrical boxes - both in Delfont Mackintosh theatres, and both, would you believe, cheapest from the official source! On the 29th, I'm finally getting to see Player Kings, depicting the relationship between Falstaff and Hal from both parts of Shakepeare's Henry IV, with Sir Ian McKellan as Falstaff. Looking forward to it - I love Shakespeare adaptations. That's in the Noel Coward Theatre, and I'm paying a little extra not to sit in the slips, so I get more legroom.

On the 30th, I'm back with UITCS to see Opening Night, a musical with music by Rufus Wainwright. Before it closes! That's at the Gielgud.

On the 1st, back with The London Horror Book Club - they're doing a book I think I'll like - well, I certainly was interested in the free sample, so I bought it. It's The Fifth Child, about a couple living in domestic bliss, having four children, and all is sweetness and light.. until the fifth arrives.. This will be in The Prince of Wales, Drury Lane again. A few months since I was last with them.

And on the 2nd, back with London Classical Music and Theatre Group, for the opera Lucia di Lammermoor in the Royal Opera House.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storytelling: The Spanking Goddess

Film: It Lives Inside

Concert: U2 #4 & Films: Past Lives, Moonlight, Spielberg, The Great Escaper, Calendar Girls, & The Turning