Play: Player Kings

These two days in London, I'm ticking theatrical boxes - both in Delfont Mackintosh theatres, and both, would you believe, cheapest from the official source! Tonight, I finally got to see Player Kings, depicting the relationship between Falstaff and Hal from both parts of Shakepeare's Henry IV, with Sir Ian McKellan as Falstaff. Was looking forward to it - I love Shakespeare adaptations. That's in the Noel Coward Theatre, and I paid a little extra not to sit in the slips, so I got more legroom.

Closest restaurant I fancied was Cote St. Martin's Lane.. I booked, although was to find out I didn't need to, there was plenty of space. On the bus there, after a couple of schoolgirls got off together, as they waited - presumably for another bus - and before we moved off - we were treated to one of them hitching up her school skirt absolutely as high as it would go. Crikey, some things never do change..

I had to change buses at Lancaster Place - and it was while I was on that first bus that I realised I needed something from a pharmacy, which I hadn't brought from home. So, instead of waiting for another bus, I set off to the Boots on Strand. Got what I wanted - and seeing, from Google Maps, that it'd take as long to get there by bus as to walk, I decided to get some exercise. Beautiful, sunny, mild day - mind you, the sun was in my eyes almost the whole way, but never mind.

I made the restaurant just before my scheduled time - and chose a table right beside the serving station. Which turned out to be an inspired choice, as every time someone turned around from there, all I had to do was catch their eye! I had a carafe of their lovely Sauvignon Blanc (#17 - I'm very fond of it), and ordered a baguette to nibble on, and my usual steak frites for main - it's good, it's inexpensive, and it's so quick! I had the order in by the time my booking time arrived..

The baguette wasn't warm, which I would normally expect - well, the bottom of it was! I had a few pieces, but honestly, it was repeating on me.. I have a tummy complaint at the moment. Anyway, the steak frites was gorgeous. With my tummy still complaining, I skipped dessert - it would've been tight anyway.

Only a short walk to the theatre, where I joined the queue for a cursory bag check. Steps to the Balcony.. phew! When I finally reached it, I went straight for my seat - mainly because the bar was up even more stairs! The poor guy near me asked whether I was all right, I was panting so hard.. in my defence, it's been a while.. I actually decided to stay put and not get a drink - not even at the interval - not with my tummy the way it was, and as I say, I'd had enough exercise.



The lady sitting in front of me was leaning forward almost all night, which meant I must needs lean too - mind you, that suited me, burping as I was. Well! The usher had warned me, on the way in that the first half - actually longer than the second - was 1hr 50 mins. Wow, I felt it.. I mean, it's great. The play is a terrific idea, it's beautifully put together - the Shakespearian expert beside me opined, at the interval, that they'd mixed bits of Part II into Part I. Did work well, I'm not complaining. The acting, as you'd expect, is superb - Ian McKellan really inhabits the role of Falstaff. I do have to wonder, though - I mean, don't get me wrong, Toheeb Jimoh does a terrific job as Hal - but do we always have to have a black actor play him these days? I can't remember the last time that didn't happen.. I'm usually in favour of colour-blind casting, but this seems very samey..

Anyway, of course, basically, the relationship between them deteriorates as Hal begins to take on more responsibility, as Henry IV becomes more and more ill. He's just no longer available for carousing down the tavern, and getting into mischief. The second half is much darker, with battle scenes and courtly scenes as the dying king despairs of the heir to the throne. Of course, it's not much of a spoiler to say that Hal finally rejects Falstaff, and that scene is heart-rending. Oh, and this is worth watching for the music alone - in the second half, as the king is approaching the end, a couple of solo male singers pipe up, acapella, in different scenes, their voices ringing like a bell in the theatre. Stunning! I absolutely loved it, and the seat was fine - just beware of the length. Runs till the 22nd of June, then goes on tour around England - do see it, if you can! Note - I couldn't get any phone reception in the theatre - and they don't seem to have WiFi.

Tomorrow, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) to see Opening Night, a musical with music by Rufus Wainwright. Before it closes! That's at the Gielgud. Mind you, I'm beginning to hear bad reports.. I am, however, getting very proactive about booking dinners, and will be eating in Bella Italia Shaftesbury Avenue for this one. Delicious food and generally really quick service - you can't lose.

On Wednesday, I was to be back with The London Horror Book Club - they're doing a book I thought I'd like - well, I certainly was interested in the free sample, so I bought it. It's The Fifth Child, about a couple living in domestic bliss, having four children, and all is sweetness and light.. until the fifth arrives.. This will be in The Prince of Wales, Drury Lane again. A few months since I was last with them. I finished the book on the plane back last night - it's not terribly long. And while it's undoubtedly well written, it doesn't work at all as a horror book! So I said sod it - there are going to be a lot of Wednesdays I can't go to London Literary Walks, so why not do that instead! This one is Westminster Politicos, and we're meeting in The Red Lion, which I know I can get food in, but it's insanely busy - so I've booked to eat there beforehand.

And on Thursday, back with London Classical Music and Theatre Group, for the opera Lucia di Lammermoor in the Royal Opera House. My sometime companion from UITCS is coming too, and suggested Balthazar, just down the road, for dinner beforehand.. new venue to me, I'll give it a go!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storytelling: The Spanking Goddess

Film: It Lives Inside

Concert: U2 #4 & Films: Past Lives, Moonlight, Spielberg, The Great Escaper, Calendar Girls, & The Turning