Film: Poor Things

For tonight, I was delighted to see that Poor Things was previewing - the trailer looked excellent. Looked deliciously odd (again): Willem Dafoe plays the mad scientist - think Frankenstein - who brings Emma Stone, unrecognisable with long, black hair, back to life. She then has to, eh, learn how to fit into society. Also stars Mark Ruffalo. I saw it in my nearest cinema - the Curzon Aldgate. Interestingly, it'd only let me book once I was signed in - perhaps it was a members-only preview..

Eating around there is something of a problem, finding somewhere decent. I eventually decided on Leo's Bar & Restaurant, so-called because it's in the Leonardo Royal Hotel. Couldn't find how to book for the restaurant specifically, so I didn't. It's just within walking distance of where I'm from - so I braved the Arctic conditions. No snow yet.. but there was a biting wind. I shuddered all the way there - it took me minutes to defrost once I got to the hotel! Walking through the glittery lobby, I couldn't see sign of the restaurant - indeed, there doesn't seem to be any sign at all! Keep going straight - it's through a glass door, and has the look of a bar/restaurant about it.

Service was speedy and friendly. I decided the last thing I wanted was to be sat near the window, looking out at the cold.. sat in the corner near the window instead. The starters didn't appeal - except for the garlic bread, perhaps, if I'd wanted to pay £11 for it! So I just had a main - fancied a warming steak, so had the sirloin (they do a few kinds). It comes with some sides, but sauce is extra - I ordered the peppercorn sauce. They have about four white wines by the glass - I had the Sauvignon, as usual.

The steak, I have to say, was beautiful - although a little bland; I was glad of the sauce, which was lovely. The chips were great, and they served a massive, portobello mushroom - all went down very well. (They also serve tomatoes, which I can't eat.) The wine was lovely - albeit in a 175ml glass (they don't do larger). I had a second of those, just because I'd come out quite early, and was quite near the cinema. So I was killing time. About £65, that lot set me back, with service.. so, if you want a comforting meal, with good food, great service, and a nice environment, this is for you. As long as you're not on a tight budget.. I would eat here again, but feel duty-bound to continue to search for a reasonable meal locally, at a more reasonable price..

A short, chilly walk to the cinema, where I had another (larger) glass of wine, but sadly, they were out of honeycomb bites. The screen was nearly full in the end - good job I had an aisle seat, because I did need the loo, sadly, in the middle of the film.. which I was really annoyed about, but honestly, that was distracting me too much, I had to go. Don't think I missed any major plot points, but sadly, it does seem to have meant me missing the scene where she complains about a screaming baby in a restaurant, and remarks that she must go and punch it..

So, this is a delightfully weird concoction. There's a warning beforehand, about strong sex, strong bad language, and nudity.. yep, some strong ideas in there too. Not one single thing about the film is conventional. They're making some damn weird films, these days.. (yippee!)

So now, this is set around the turn of the 18th Century, heading into the 19th. A bit Steampunk in ways, it concerns the horrifically scarred Willem Dafoe - we learn that his dad was an unconventional scientist, who experimented on him, causing a variety of mutilations, which we learn about gradually. This is just one illustration of the general horribleness of the world we have as a backdrop. Anyway, it's not too much of a spoiler to reveal that he comes across a young, pregnant woman who has thrown herself from a bridge. (Quite how he comes upon her, I do not know.) She's pretty much dead - he delivers the baby, by Cesarean section, then transplants the baby's brain into the mother's cranium..

And so we get Bella (Emma Stone), a baby in a woman's body. Now, babies learn fast, and so does she - much of the trailer shows her gradual language development, and we see her becoming accustomed to the things the people around her consider the norm. Or not. Ah hell, nothing here is normal - she walks funny, she spits food out if she doesn't like it, and her mouth has no filter. And this is before she discovers her genitals..

The scientist's house is populated with strange, hybrid creatures - a hen with a pig's head, anyone? And into this environment is propelled a medical student, whom Willem Dafoe employs to record her progress. He sees a fondness develop between them, and decides they should marry - but he wants them to sign a legal agreement to remain at the house, away from the Big Bad World. Enter Mark Ruffalo, the lawyer who brings the contract to be signed. He's rather unfiltered himself, rather a louche.. and intrigued by her. He offers to steal her away - and off she goes, for an adventure! And that's just the start..

Her dresses are weird. The sky outside is weird - reminded me exactly of the painted skies above the Venetianesque streets and canals in the Venetian Hotel in Las Vegas! The colours are all a bit overdone, the whole thing feels otherworldly - to Bella as well, I guess. The story of the film is the story of how she deals with this strange, new world around her, and finds her place in it. As Emma Stone remarked in an interview, it seems as though the more independent Bella becomes, the more the men around her feel threatened. Never fear, I think you'll like how it comes out! ;-) Highly recommended. And happily, the cinema itself is just far enough away from home that I got a bus back..

Tomorrow, I finally get to see The Motive and the Cue, now showing at the Noel Coward Theatre. A National Theatre production, it's now moved home - I never did get to see it during its initial run. It depicts Richard Burton rehearsing to play Hamlet, under the direction of John Gielgud.. I hear great things, and I'm delighted to be seeing it at last. Cheapest tickets I found with Official London Theatre - which isn't official at all..

On Tuesday, I'm off to The Enfield Haunting (woohoo!). Starring Catherine Tate and David Threlfall, it's based on real events.. showing in the Ambassadors Theatre

On Wednesday - Wednesdays seem to be becoming my Meetup days - I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for the Matthew Bourne production of Edward Scissorhands, at Sadler's Wells. Love Matthew Bourne - but by the time I got around to booking this, it was nearly sold out! so, for once, I'm in the First Circle - a level lower than normal. Which should be just fine..

On Thursday, back with the Backyard Comedy Club - tickets from CT again. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On the 15th, finally getting to see the RSC production of Hamnet, the story of Shakespeare's short-lived son. Playing at the Garrick.

On the 16th, seeing Rock 'n' Roll by Tom Stoppard, at Hampstead Theatre.

On the 17th - which is a Wednesday - yes, back with Meetup! This time, it's the New Year Social co-hosted by the London Movie Club (LMC), the Hideout, and London Hot 100! all of which are run by the same people. I've just booked with the LMC myself, which was the first to advertise it. Back at the BFI.

On the 18th, Helen is in town - and suggested we have dinner, and head to the Canary Wharf Winter Lights! Excellent idea - I was thinking of seeing them, but didn't have a specific date in mind. Must try not to be in the office that day - I hate the idea of lugging a laptop around! We're heading to Amerigo Vespucci for food..

On the 19th, back with CT - for a show called The Gods, The Gods, The Gods, at Underbelly Boulevard. New venue, it seems!

The 20th is when I'm trying to catch up with all those ex-colleagues.. still waiting on word of whether Ivan can move his rehearsal from that day.. he says he's "working on it".


On the 22nd, back with North London Friends for the first time in ages! They had one remaining ticket for Cold War, at the Almeida - otherwise completely sold out! So I bit the bullet and bought theirs - albeit above my normal price range, including a Paypal fee, and with a Meetup fee on top.. it was that or not see it at all! It'll be good to see them again, too..

On the 23rd, back with UITCS for Blood on Your Hands, at Southwark Playhouse - for which I used the second of my theatre vouchers, bought under their Pay as you Go scheme, where you get them at a discount.

And on the 24th, another CT ticket - this is for The Gorgeous Diva & Katie Norris Double Bill, at the Pen Theatre. Somewhere else I've never been, hmm..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storytelling: The Spanking Goddess

Play: Player Kings

Film: The First Omen